outlook express

the kopite 05:44 18 Jun 2005

Hi Guys I have configured aol to work with outlook express and although I can send I am not receiving emails any ideas guys I am using win xp thanks kopite

octal 07:17 18 Jun 2005

I don't use AOL but this is how it should be set up accrding to their help pages click here

Any good?

octal 07:20 18 Jun 2005

Sorry, my link says no data, well there is data, I'll try the direct link: click here

the kopite 07:42 18 Jun 2005

Hi octal keep getting runtime error on both links mate thanks kopite

octal 08:09 18 Jun 2005

I'm not sure if this will go over the 800 word limit, but here goes, this is what it says:

AOL allows you to use SMTP for sending e-mail and IMAP for reading e-mail. This setup is compatible with most mail and communication clients. You get all the great features AOL e-mail has to offer, and the flexibility to read and send e-mail via a third-party e-mail client!

To configure Outlook Express for AOL:

1. On the Windows desktop, double-click the OUTLOOK EXPRESS icon. If Outlook Express desktop icon is not displayed, click Start, select Programs or All Programs, then click Microsoft Outlook.

2. On the menu bar, click TOOLS, then click ACCOUNTS.

NOTE: If you have never configured, or used, your Outlook Express email program, at this point the Internet Connection Wizard will open automatically. If this occurs, go directly to Step 4.

3. Click ADD, then click MAIL.

4. In the Display name box, type your full name (or the name you want to appear), then click NEXT.

5. In the E-mail address box, type your e-mail address (e.g., [email protected]), then click NEXT. Be sure to include @aol.com at the end of your e-mail address.

6. Click the down arrow on the My incoming mail is a ____ server drop-down list, then click IMAP.

7. In the Incoming mail (POP3, IMAP or HTTP) server box, type: imap.aol.com

8. In the Outgoing mail (SMTP) server box, type: smtp.aol.com

9. Click NEXT.

10. In the Account name box, type your full AOL Screen Name (e.g., johndoe).

11. In the Password box, type your AOL password.

12. Check the box next to 'Remember password' if you wish to save your password, then click NEXT.

13. Select the method you want to use to connect to the Internet, then click NEXT.

14. Click FINISH.

15. Ensure your Account is selected, then click PROPERTIES.

16. Click the SERVERS tab.

17. Under Outgoing Mail Server, select 'My server requires authentication', then click APPLY.

18. Click the ADVANCED tab.

19. Under Server Port Numbers, in the Outgoing mail (SMTP) box, type 587, then click APPLY.

20. Click the IMAP tab.

21. Under Special Folders, uncheck 'Store special folders on IMAP server', then click OK.

22. Click CLOSE.

For more information, please go to AOL Keyword: Open Mail Access.

the kopite 04:41 19 Jun 2005

thank you octal for all the work I am very sorry but I should have mentioned I printed of Aol.s instructions to install it and follwed them to the letter but it still is not recieving mail although I can send Aol are at a loss to explain it but thats no suprise lol well just keep trying thanks again kopite

octal 08:53 19 Jun 2005

The only other thing I can think of is the firewall is blocking port 587 or the IMAP port, try temporarily disabling the firewall and see if you can access it.

octal 09:01 19 Jun 2005

I've just noticed you can send, so port 587 is unblocked, so it may be port 143 to receive, but AOL may use a different port to receive, so try the firewall thingy first and if it works have a closer look at the firewall settings.

octal 09:04 19 Jun 2005

Sorry, another posting, this maybe of interest click here it confirms they use port 143 to receive, so its back to the firewall thingy.

the kopite 09:54 19 Jun 2005

Thank you for all your help octal its working now I reinstalled it and set the receive port to 587 and the send to 143 ticked my sever needs authorisation and I am recieving my emails I can now tick this resolved lol thank you again kopite

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?