outlook express

cjgolf 15:15 30 Dec 2004

I have had problems sending emails for a while, I can receive but not send. When ever I phone the helpline of my ISP they say they do not support outlook express. I have had my connections checked and they appear ok.
Would changing isp help or getting outlook instead which they all appear to support.

pj123 15:21 30 Dec 2004

Give us some more info? Who is your ISP? What is the spec of your PC? etc. Is it dialup or Broadband?

cjgolf 15:27 30 Dec 2004

freeserve, compaq deskpro p3 256 mb, dial up. Does that help.

Jackcoms 15:36 30 Dec 2004

"my ISP they say they do not support outlook express"

Which sounds like so much bull's doo doo to me.

I fail to see that it's any concern of theirs which e-mail client you use.

Your ISP's function is to transmit electronic data for you between servers.

In fact if they don't support Outlook Express, they are effectively saying we don't support most home users, who probably use (like me) Outlook Express.

britto 15:45 30 Dec 2004

are you getting any error messages?,are you using McAfee antivirus?

bretsky 15:47 30 Dec 2004

Freeserve is now Wanadoo.
This may help you click here

bretsky ;0)

pj123 15:48 30 Dec 2004

I have not heard of any ISP (freeserve included) that do not support OE. I have two people that I teach on Freeserve dialup (now Wanadoo) and they do not have any problems. Are you sure that your smtp is set up correctly?

ACOLYTE 15:51 30 Dec 2004

What they may mean is that they wont help you with your Outlook problem as its not there product its microsofts,what they will and should do is make sure your settings for there mail servers are correct,and set up properly.If they dont do this and they keep saying we dont whatever tell them to take a hike and get another ISP.

You could ask them what Email client they do support just out of interest.As Jackcoms says its up to you what Email client you use and they should help you set that choice up so it works with there servers,if they dont then they are not providing the service you singed up for if it included an email account,as i presume the Help line is there for that, to Help.

Just my opinion anyway.

cjgolf 16:16 30 Dec 2004

Thay have checked my settings and said they appear ok, the problem is within outlook therefore the problem is a microsoft issue. I have tried contacting microsoft which is expensive from what i can see so gave up.
I assume if I change isp the problem will still be there.

ened 16:24 30 Dec 2004

It sounds as though you have reached an unhelpful operative.
I use Freeserve and when I had a problem with receiving mail they pointed this useful page to me click here;jsessionid=5E4B9FB34C95782F6C0862421F4F83C2?MESSAGE=PLEASE_LOG_IN

All it is is your post box at the server.

Hope this helps.

ened 16:27 30 Dec 2004

I gon't know how the rest of that got in there but the 'click here' should take you there.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?