Outlook Express

Pillo 13:56 02 Nov 2003

I'm running WindowsXP and the latest version of Internet Explorer. Outlook Express works fine until I try to access the address book when I get a message "The Address Book failed to load. Outlook Express is incorrectly configured, please re-install."
Can someone please tell me how to do this as the only way I can see to do it is to re-install IE complete and it doesn't fix it. If I could uninstall IE I would but I can't seem to do this in XP.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

MichelleC 15:27 02 Nov 2003

I don't know if this works in xp or if there's any risk involved (but b/up data in case):

Deleting IE

Look in your c:\windows\inf folder and see if you find any files named oemxx.inf which have a length of 0 (zero), where the xx can be any number.
There could be potentially many thousands. If you do, you need to erase these.

Here's a MS article: click here;en-us;281967 : Computer Stops Responding (Hangs) During Setup, Installing Updates, or Adding New Hardware

Now go to Start/Find, and type wininit.ini
When found, highlight the file and hit 'delete'

Warning: leave Wininit.exe, Wininit.bak, and Win.ini alone

Go to C:\Windows\Temp, and empty the folder completely.

Go to Microsoft Download Center ( click here? ), and select the version of IE you'd like to download.

Now shut down as many running programs as possible, especially your antivirus, and try downloading and installing IE again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?