Outlook - attachments not being sent

davethebike 21:21 21 Oct 2003

Outlook - attachments not being sent
Win XP home, Office 2000, Outlook (not Express) won't send my attachments, or if it does, those few that get them come in .dat format.
Downloaded all latest fixes and Service packs to both Office and XP.

Outlook Express will send them, but not Outlook.

No matter what files I send, Word, Excel, jpegs, zipped - none will get there, despite the file seeming to be downloaded to my ntl server (it takes longer than a plain email).

Have searched other postings, but still can't resolve this one

?????????????

madPentium 22:04 21 Oct 2003

just something to try, it was an old bug.
Go into outlook and select tools/options.
Click the 'mail format' tab and remove the tick
saying use MS word as email editor.
Click OK and then try again.

davethebike 00:09 23 Oct 2003

"""Go into outlook and select tools/options. Click the 'mail format' tab and remove the tick saying use MS word as email editor. Click OK and then try again. """

Not ticked ! Anyone else any ideas???????

cycoze 00:47 23 Oct 2003

what format are you sending in , rich text (rtf), plain text or html ? try another format to what you are using now , and see if there is any change.

davethebike 22:16 23 Oct 2003

I have sent files in Word, rtf and html to my works email. None received there, not even in .dat form.

When I attach the file, it inserts it into the body of the email (wherever the cursor happens to be at the time, not as a separate attachment like Outlook Express does - is this correct?

I have re-installed the programme using the "repair or re-install damaged files" in Control Panel, but to no avail.

cycoze 00:37 24 Oct 2003

Can you clarify , are the DAT files Winmail.dat , if so try clicking on the Tools menu, click Options and then Mail Format , In Send in this message format, click to select Plain Text.

davethebike 16:37 26 Oct 2003

"Can you clarify , are the DAT files Winmail.dat , if so try clicking on the Tools menu, click Options and then Mail Format , In Send in this message format, click to select Plain Text. "

Sorry for delay - been away all w/e

Most recipients (including my Outlook Express addrss at work) don't get anything, not a .dat file, or winmail, or any attachment in any format whatsoever.

VoG II 16:54 26 Oct 2003

What happens if you right click on a file in Windows Explorer and select Send to > Mail recipient ?

davethebike 17:13 26 Oct 2003

I get a window "Choose profile" which displays "Profile Name: Microsoft Outlook Internet Settings" When I select the "New..." tab I am offered MS Exchanfe setup Wizard with "MS Exchange Server" and "Incoming Mail" ticked. If I then select "Next" I get my name in the "Profile Name" display. When I then press "Next" again I get a message ".. WMSUI32.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix the problem"

From that I suppose I should remove and re-install?????

pc moron 17:16 26 Oct 2003

Try this.

Start a new e-mail message and attach a file using the Insert>File command from the menu bar.

When you insert the file a new bar called Attach should appear under Subject and display the attachment- the attachment shouldn't apppear in the body of the message.

VoG II 17:20 26 Oct 2003

I would think that is your best option. Something is clearly wrong with the installation.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires