Outlook account compromised - sending email to myself from own account for fake paypal

JDodger 06:57 23 Feb 2015

I just checked my emails to find an email from myself, claiming to be from Paypal saying I need to update my payment information. Now obviously I haven't clicked the link or anything, but does anyone know how this could have happened? I'm running a full AVG scan on my main computer now and afterwards I will change my Microsoft password, but I'm still incredibly worried as I'm extremely careful with my passwords etc.

This is also a warning to anyone else out there getting a similar thing, DO NOT CLICK THE LINK

JDodger 07:00 23 Feb 2015

The message source says the IP is 78.153.212.231 which is located in Dublin, Ireland apparently

JDodger 07:03 23 Feb 2015

a little bit more digging and I've found this: click here

Secret-Squirrel 09:49 23 Feb 2015

"I just checked my emails to find an email from myself.................but does anyone know how this could have happened?"

Anyone can send an email in someone else's name and/or address - they don't need your password to do this. By all means change your MS password, but from what you've said so far, there's no need to worry that your account has been hacked or otherwise compromised.

lotvic 12:26 23 Feb 2015

Forward fakes to [email protected] as per the instructions on paypal website ClickHere they will trace where the email actually came from and take the appropriate measures.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017