Outlook 2010 archive file .pst

bpzoom 10:24 06 Feb 2014

Windows 7 Microsoft Outlook 2010 and Chrome browser:- My Outlook 2010 email archive settings appear to be OK and yet when I open the .pst archive file under Documents, User name Outlookfiles etc from within Outlook it only contains the current Inbox contents, even though it says the size is 200mb+ Where can the emails archive dover the past 6 months have gone to? Outlook say go to File tab, open and then choose the archive file. All I get is the current Inbox contents and nothing for Sent.

Woolwell 12:25 06 Feb 2014

Chrome browser is irrelevant. Are you sure that you are looking in the right place for your archive data. You seem to be viewing the current data only. From MS Help "If the archive Outlook Data File (.pst) is open in Outlook In the Navigation Pane, in the Folder List, click Archives (or the name you specified for the archive file)."

bpzoom 14:48 06 Feb 2014

"If the archive Outlook Data File (.pst) is open in Outlook In the Navigation Pane, in the Folder List, click Archives (or the name you specified for the archive file)."

Read more: click here Thank you but the Archives folder in the same navigation pane as the others such as Inbox Outbox etc, is empty. On my hard disk in Libraries/Documents/Outlookfiles is a .pst file called "[email protected]" and is 424mb. I can only open that from within Outlook via File/Open/Open Output Datafile", When I open that the contents are only the current Inbox. Can the .pst data file be anywhere else other than under Libraries/Documents/Outlookfiles ?

bpzoom 15:23 06 Feb 2014

Again I have checked the properties of my Inbox and Sent box and ensured they are set to auto archive at intervals to the Libraries/Documents/Outlookfiles .pst file called "[email protected]". When I open that there are no entries, just a blank navigation page. Yet the file size is 424mb

Woolwell 15:27 06 Feb 2014

Outlook 2010 keeps its files in a different location to 2007 (which is what I have). Is there only one pst file in the Outlookfiles folder? I would have hoped for 2 at least. See MS Support and then in Outlook how many data files do you have?

wee eddie 15:49 06 Feb 2014

I may have got this totally wrong.

A .pst File is not, on its own, for reading. However if you import it into a blank copy of Outlook it will populate it with its contents.

If you are set on examining what's in your .pst file, without compromising your current copy of Outlook > Launch a new copy of Outlook named, say "Outlook New", and Import the .pst file you want to examine.

bpzoom 17:14 06 Feb 2014

Wee eddie thank you, but when you say "If you are set on examining what's in your .pst file, without compromising your current copy of Outlook", perhaps I have got the completely wrong end of the whole archive idea. I want to open, i.e read the .pst archive file if I need to retrieve an old email. If the .pst files are not for opening and reading by what other means does one retrieve an archived email to read it?

Read more: click here

bpzoom 17:21 06 Feb 2014

Woolwell, There are three called archive(64mb) another called by my internet address (442mb) and a third by my wife's internet address. I have just created another out of curiosity called myarchive. This new one appears on the same Outlook navigation page as Inbox and Outbox, and I have altered the properties of those two boxes to archive to "myarchive" at regular intervals. I believe the same was already happening on the others except when they are opened they are either empty or only the current inbox is therein despite they were set to auto archive since Outlook was installed about 4 months ago

Woolwell 18:29 06 Feb 2014

The archive pst files should have your old emails, plus contacts, etc. The one with your internet address should contain your current emails. Are you using imap?

Woolwell 18:30 06 Feb 2014

I have my archived emails permanently available under an archive folder in the navigation pane. They go back at least 10 years!

bpzoom 19:29 06 Feb 2014

Woolwell said Are you using imap? Sorry I do not know what imap is. I use the provided BT internet mail system and don't really know any more than that. I imagined such things as archiving just happened without any intervention by me.

You said I have my archived emails permanently available under an archive folder in the navigation pane. They go back at least 10 years! That is what I had hoped to have but for some reason have failed to achieve, or at least have failed to open the files.. Read more: click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?