Outlook 2007 and sky.com

Frankfurt 20:40 10 Sep 2007

Absolute Beginner....
I have a laptop, Vista Home Premium, and have just changed ISP (from virgin.net to sky.com) but can no longer send/receive emails in Outlook.
I have made changes in 'Account Settings' to my new email address; then highlighted the new address and changed manually incoming/outgoing mail server settings to: pop.sky.com/smtp.sky.com.
Testing account settings, I get the following error message: None of the authentication methods supported by this client are supported by your server.
What am I doing wrong?

SANTOS7 20:50 10 Sep 2007

This may help....

1. Click Tools/Accounts and double-click the account that is giving you the error

2. Click "More Settings" button then "Outgoing Server" tab at the top

3. Put a check in "My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication" AND put a check in "Log onto incoming mail server before sending mail"

DO NOT PUT YOUR USERNAME AND PW FOR YOUR ISP IN THE CREDENTIALS FIELDS.

4. Click the "Ok" button to take you back to the "Change Email Account" properties box and then click the "Test Account Settings.." button.

Frankfurt 22:06 10 Sep 2007

I am sure I followed your instructions to the letter...
....and now got two, very similar, error messages:

1. Log onto incoming mail server (POP3): Cannot find the email server. Verify the server information in your account properties.
2. Send test email message: Cannot find the email server. Verify the email information in your account properties.

I cannot work out where/how to find this requested info. .....
Thank you for your help, sorry it didn't work.... any other ideas??

SANTOS7 22:10 10 Sep 2007

click here

follow thread it may help...

Ashrich 22:26 10 Sep 2007

As you are a new customer to Sky , have you maybe got one of the " new " Sky email accounts powered by Google , as there are different settings for these , and have you logged in to MySky to check all is well using their webmail , it may tell you there whether you have one of the new type accounts or not .

Ashley

Frankfurt 08:13 11 Sep 2007

To Santos7.........

The link you suggested solved the problem - I am very grateful for your time and trouble.....
thanks for your help.

Ashrich 17:58 11 Sep 2007

That's why I asked if you had one of the new Google/Sky accounts , the inclusion of " tools " into the server name was my next port of call ....

Ashley

Frankfurt 19:29 11 Sep 2007

Ashley....

I have two computers... Santos7's link provided the answer for my laptop, but it did not work for my PC.

For some odd reason, the laptop has the new email version but the PC has the older one - although both belong to one account holder, signed up on the same day!!
When I looked at the old online email version, it did not provide access to change the mail settings. Hence the continuing problem.
If you have (or anyone else has) a solution for the problem with the PC......
.....I would be glad to hear from you.

Thank you
Frtankfurt

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?