Outlook 2003 - Unable to open default email folder

Charlie Babbage 20:36 16 Feb 2007

I have Outlook 2003. I then stupidly tried to install Outlook 2000 - won't bother you as to why!

This has now really messed up Outlook 2003! Now when I launch Outlook 2003 I get the error message 'Unable to open your default e-mail folders. Create a new profile by double-clicking the Mail Icon in Control Panel, clicking Show Profiles, and then clicking Add. After creating the new profile, make it your default by selecting it and then clicking Always use this profile.'

I did all that but then get another error message 'You need more memory or system resurces. Close some windows and try again'. I have done that too but still cannot get into the Mail Icon. I have a Pentium 4 CPU 2.00 GHz with 512 MB of RAM. The hard drive has 38.2 GB with 3.15 GB free space which I would have thought would be sufficient. I do not have any other windows open. avast AV runs in the background but that is all.

I know there are some email files in Outlook. I have tried going into OE v 6.0 and selecting Import from Outlook but the files I remember are not listed in OE.

Any ideas how I can get back these files would be appreciated. I have found that there are files named 'outlook.pst' and 'archive.pst' - I just cannot open them at present!

RicScott 20:39 16 Feb 2007

are using Windows XP..Run a system restore to before you tried to install Outlook2000..

If the memory message is popping up near your clock, you need to up the Virtual Memory.

Possibly set it to system managed size.

Technotiger 20:42 16 Feb 2007

click here

click here

Hi, if a System Restore back to before you installed 2000 does not solve the problem, it might be worth looking through these two links.

Good luck.

Charlie Babbage 22:01 16 Feb 2007

... many thanks for reminding me about System Restore. It worked a treat!!

Technotiger 22:17 16 Feb 2007

Grrreat ....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?