Outlook 2003 - Strange Send

WardaleM 23:02 09 Jul 2005

My email program(Outllok 2003) has recently (last 2 days) been failing to send an email.

The problem is, I haven't sent this email, and I can't find out where it is in Outlook to delete it (it isn't in the Outbox).

The failure message is:

Task 'Symantec Fax Starter Edition - Sending' reported error (0x80042109) : 'Outlook is unable to connect to your outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

I have no problems sending other emails. I have run Spybot - Search & Destroy and Ad-Aware with no hits. My anti-virus (AVG) is up-to-date (latest definitions 8/7).

I have also googled (is this now a valid term?) the error message but all of the results are for a 'no mail sending' scenario where I am only getting the message for 1 mail.

Can anyone shed any light on this, and if possible tell me how to stop it keep trying to send?

Forum Editor 23:41 09 Jul 2005

you have the Symantec Fax starter edition installed on your machine?

WardaleM 00:05 10 Jul 2005

Not as far as I know.

I have not installed the application (the PC doesn't have a modem & isn't connected to a phone - I have cable broadband). The app may have been installed as part of something else, although I don't have any other Symantec products, and I haven't installed anything new in the last few weeks. The app doesn't appear in Add or Remove Programs either.

WardaleM 23:33 10 Jul 2005

This is driving me slowly mad.
It isn't a killer problem, I can live with it. But it is an anoying irritation - an electronic version of the Chinese water torture.

DieSse 00:21 11 Jul 2005

I tried to answer you last night - but the site went dead!!

OK - Symantec Fax Starter Edition is part of Outlook. It either installs with Outlook, or the first time you try to send a Fax (File - New - Fax Message)

To work it installs a virtual printer, so essentially you "print" onto the remote fax machine.

So - look in Control Panel - Printers - and "right-click" and Delete any entries that say Fax or are clearly a "fax printer"

WardaleM 19:46 11 Jul 2005

DieSse, sorry for the delay in responding. My PC is at home and I have been at work.

The only printers I have are my old but trusty HP Deskjet720c (default) and a Microsoft Office Document Image Writer. I have no idea what the latter is. No mention of fax printing anywhere

DieSse 22:31 11 Jul 2005

Unfortunately I only have Outlook2000 - so I can't actually check in Outlook2003.

Try running Detect and Repair in the Help drop down menu.

Try initiating sending a fax (File - New - Fax Message) and see what response you get.

WardaleM 23:01 11 Jul 2005

DieSse,

When I try to send a fax (internet fax is the only option for faxing) I get a message "to use fax service to send your fax, you must first sign up with a fax service provider. Click OK to open a page in your web browser where you can choose a provider".

No help there then.

I have run Detect and Repair - it ran and said Installation complete. It didnt look as though it did anything, and the problem still remains :(

Thanks for your help - it is greatly appreciated.

DieSse 23:17 11 Jul 2005

"internet fax is the only option for faxing"

I know that you are on BB and can't actually send a real fax - does the above mean that if you do try to send one, you get a message to this effect?

Furthark 23:18 11 Jul 2005

Have you tried opening ‘search’ and look for it there?
Do a system restore first, then when you find it , delete it.

Furthark 23:19 11 Jul 2005

Have you tried opening ‘search’ and look for it there?
Do a system restore first, then when you find it , delete it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?