Outlook 2003 - Sending Links and Shortcuts

see_em_ess 11:56 08 May 2006

I'm attempting to do something which seems fairly straight forward, but I'm progressing at a speed which resembles wading through treacle. So I shall call on the expertise of the cleverest people I know and see if you are able to come up with a simple answer for me.

All I am trying to do is get Outlook 2003 to allow users to send and then open a link to a shared local network file direct from an e-mail.

That's it. Nothing else.

BUT . . . . . The only way I can get it to work is by manually typing the full path location, which as we all know isn't something that the average user will do.

If I send a message that contains

\my network\network server\shared drive\shared folders\users folder\users subfolder\some ridiculously long name which really isn't necessary\communications\telephony\phone list.doc>

then the link to the file will send and the recipient can open it and everything is hunky dorey. (As long as I remember to include the and > so that it will allow spaces between words.)

But is there a way that you know, which means that I don't have to manually type in the full path??

I'm trying to reduce the amount of network traffic and unless I can make it easy then no-one will bother using links and shortcuts.

Even if you persuade all users to send in HTML format, so that they have the option to INSERT - HYPERLINK, this doesn't give them an option to Browse for a file, they still have to manually type the full path.

Different users have different drives mapped to specific letters, so even (so called) logical addressing wouldn't work.

I preferred the good old days when you could just send a .lnk file and Outlook didn't block it.

If you are able to come up with a simple solution for this then you will truly be the Techno-God that should be worshipped by all.

Yours Grovellingly
Craig

VoG II 12:06 08 May 2006

Unblock .lnk files click here and send .lnk attachment.

see_em_ess 12:27 08 May 2006

I cannot believe I was so stupid!!

Just from the Insert File dialogue, select Insert As Hyperlink.

That's It.

Thanks to anyone who took the time to look at this, next time I post I'll try and make it something more difficult.

Craig

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017