Outlook 2003, data file management and PST Backup

Bramblerose 21:48 27 Oct 2005

I have Outlook 2003 and have lots of emails from my clients that I used to keep in individual folders in my personal folders.

After looking at data file management, I created new data files for each of my clients and moved all their emails into each data folder - all OK so far!

I also use an add in for Outlook called pfbackup which is to automatically back up my pst folders. This worked prior to me creating the data folders.

When I try and back up now I get an error message which says "cannot move personal: The filename, directory name or volume label syntax is incorrect"

I can manually export the datafiles but I really would like the ability to back up the files on a weekly basis with just mouse click rather than spending 15 mins or so manually backing up.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Dinesh Sinha 20:48 31 Oct 2005

Outlook pst backup is a time consuming process if it is a full backup. It may be good to consider a product which have incremental feature and ability to deal with open files. From the documentation of pfbackup, I could not makeout if it was incremental. One example of scheduled incremental backup of open pst would be <click here>.

Regards.

Bramblerose 21:11 16 Nov 2005

Just in case anyone has the same issues - as I was carrying out a manual back up of my .pst files, I noticed that two of them were called personal which was causing a confict.

I had to create a new data management file, copy the folder from the old file into the new one, name it properly, delete the old file and rename the new file with the old file's name!!!

The Outlook backup tool now works - hurrah!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?