Outlook 2002

exdragon 20:09 01 Nov 2009

Hi - I've just loaded this onto my Vista laptop and have set up my email addresses using the Properties option and then using the Test Account Settings. These test messages got through to my desktop without any problem.

However, when I try to open Outlook. either from the icon or via Start>Programmes, I get the message, 'Unable to open your default email folders. Could not open the item. Try again.'

Does anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong, plesase?

Thanks

PP321 20:10 01 Nov 2009

Far to old for Vista! , You need a newer version of outlook, 2007 at least.

VoG II 20:32 01 Nov 2009

Not so. Try click here

Ford Prefect 01 20:52 01 Nov 2009

Outlook 2002 does not store your password in your e-mail settings.

As PP321 says I am afraid Outlook 2002 is past it.

As you have a Vista laptop why not use Windows mail, otherwise you will have to purcahse a newer version of Office.

If you have any relations that are in fulltime education have a look at

click here

exdragon 20:59 01 Nov 2009

Thanks, VoG™, but it doesn't seem to work. I can't find the scanpst.exe file, nor can I find anything about the configuration settings or the Inbox Repair Tool.

Back to the drawing board, perhaps

exdragon 20:59 01 Nov 2009

Thanks, VoG™, but it doesn't seem to work. I can't find the scanpst.exe file, nor can I find anything about the configuration settings or the Inbox Repair Tool.

Back to the drawing board, perhaps

exdragon 21:04 01 Nov 2009

If it doesn't work, how come the test messages appear on my desktop? They were sent when I set up my email addresses in 2002. Or am I barking up the wrong tree? 2003 worked perfectly, but I took it off.

It seems to be retaining the password, which surprises me as that was one of the things I read about when I ws trying to find a solution.

Got the bit between my teeth now!

Woolwell 21:20 01 Nov 2009

See click here

Why did you take off 2003 which is a later version than 2002? There should be no problems with 2003.

exdragon 22:30 01 Nov 2009

Woolwell - because it wasn't exactly, err, umm... and 2002 is!

I saw your link before I posted, and it says the programme runs, but the password isn't saved. I can't open the defualt mail folders, although I can retrieve the test messages from my laptop.

Woolwell 12:32 02 Nov 2009

It does sound as if the pst file cannot be found or is corrupted which is why VoG™ suggested scan.pst. You should have that on your PC see click here
If thay fails then I wonder if the problem is due to having 2003 and going back to 2002.

exdragon 13:09 02 Nov 2009

I really think I'll give up on this one after all. It's one thing to want to solve a problem, but I guess life is too short to keep bashing your head against a brick wall when there's a ready made solution - Windows Live Mail!

Thanks, all of you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone