outgoing mail server authentication

Bigpeat 00:14 27 Dec 2004

I use btinternet as my ISP but use doctors.net.uk as my default email address. This means that I have different passwords for the incoming email server (doctors.org.uk) and outoing (btinternet.com). This caused no problem until I was invited to download some software by btinternet related to "mail server authentication". This now means that I can receive emails, but when I try to send an email a dialogue box appears and I have to enter my username and password. This is rather annoying. If I go into Outlook Express/accounts/mail/properties, in the section marked outgoing mail server the box "My server requires authentication" is ticked. On clicking settings the logon information is shown as "use same settings as my incoming mail server". If I check the other radio button ("Logon using") and fill in the username and password, all is OK until I hang up. When reconnecting the changes have been lost. Equally if I uncheck the box "My server requires authentication" I find it is checked again when I next dial in. Sorry this is such a ramble but any suggestions will be welcome.

woodchip 00:20 27 Dec 2004

To send mail it starts with SMTP. and then you BT isp name follows it the pop canbe be any. but if you only have BT isp then it as got to be the above.

as

smtp.btinternet.com

Bigpeat 00:41 27 Dec 2004

Thanks for your message. I'm not sure I understand your reply, but I can confirm that my incoming mail is POP3 and outgoing is SMTP. The annoying thing is that I can set up the system so I don't have to enter username/password when sending mail, but Outlook Express "forgets" this when I next dial up (although "remember password" box is ticked), and thinks that I am using the same identification to send as to receive emails.

Buchan 35 11:36 27 Dec 2004

Bigpeat,
Can you remove the softwear you were `invited` to download and go back to a situation you were originally happy with?

VoG II 11:41 27 Dec 2004

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?