OUTGOING EMAIL PROBLEM

imstuck 12:24 21 Mar 2008

HI I can receive emails but my pc has decided i cannot send. This error pops up:

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'pop.ntlworld.com', Server: 'smtp.ntlword.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): Yes, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E.

thanks

Pineman100 12:28 21 Mar 2008

This might help you

click here

imstuck 13:23 21 Mar 2008

pineman thanks, to complex for me. It was working fine so i probably need a step by step regarding settings as i think the problem is probably there.

Pineman100 13:39 21 Mar 2008

click here for a Microsoft article on the problem, with various suggestions on solving it.

If that's also too technical for you, perhaps your best plan would be to use System Restore, to roll back to a time before the problem started. Do you know how to do that?

I must confess that I'm not 100% certain whether a system restore will restore the particular settings that would cure this problem, but so long as you haven't installed any sofware between your chosen restore date and now, you shouldn't lose anything by trying it. And you can always undo the restore if you want to.

It's a good idea to deactivate your security software for a few minutes while you run System Restore.

dms05 14:59 21 Mar 2008

This is how you set up Outlook Express - it uses Tiscali as an example so you would need to use the relevant ntl settings click here

Digital 15:53 21 Mar 2008

Are you using OnSpeed? If so try turning it off for e-mails. I had the same problem with Thunderbird & OE.

imstuck 15:59 21 Mar 2008

thanks digital,no im not, whatever that is.

imstuck 16:01 21 Mar 2008

dms05 thanks still cant send outgoing.

TonyW2 16:36 21 Mar 2008

Do you have more than the one e-mail address and do you have the same problem on all?
Perhaps consider setting up a new one and starting from scratch. Then see if you still have a problem as this may narrow down the possible error points. Its worth having a second one as a reservein any case.

Sea Urchin 16:55 21 Mar 2008

How to set up NTL in Outlook Express

click here

David4637 17:53 22 Mar 2008

Go into OE >tools> Accounts> select email account> properties> untick Include this Account etc, and see if the error occurs?
This is just a means of reducing the many variables that can cause this error. Post the result. David

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?