out of timing error message

keith-236785 16:45 15 May 2007

I have an old DELL Opliplex GX1 which i have been given to play around with, windows works fine with the 15" TFT monitor, but when i try to run any version of live linux it ALWAYS fails with the message "out of timing" on the monitor, then it goes into standby mode (the monitor).

does anyone have any ideas what causes this error and what i can do to get around it.

several versions of live linux have the option to choose different screen res, i have tried 1024*768 and 800*600, both times i chose 32 bit colour depth but i know the graphics are only 2MB and appreciate this may not work but the others did exactly the same, even when i choose safe default it still happens, am i doomed to have to use windows on this old timer?

thanks in advance
keith

silverous 17:08 15 May 2007

I think with live linux discs there is usually a way to put custom parameters in. You may want to avoid live disks and go full linux then find the correct settings on the net for your monitor and edit those into the relevant file (the X config file) - sorry if this is a bit vague, more of an approach than a detailed answer!

keith-236785 15:49 16 May 2007

thanks for that but i was hoping to run this pc without a hard drive to minimise the noise, using a USB key to store any files needed, therefor i would rather not go down the route of installing linux proper, i have not had this problem before with this monitor so im assuming its something to do with the DELL onboard graphic settings, but i cant find any way in the bios to change the graphic settings

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?