"Out of Range" message when using TV as Monitor

Brettanicus 18:25 04 Mar 2009

I have been trying to use a Sony Bravia 20" TV as a PC monitor, but I get the message "Out of Range" displayed on the TV. I soon discovered that the refresh rate needed to be 60Mhz so I tried that with a resolution of 1280x768. This worked initially but I soon discovered that on restarting the PC, the refresh rate changed to 75 and the problem was back. Furthermore, on trying a resolution of 1024x768, this was changed to 1280x768 after restart. Are there default settings which are somehow invoked during boot up?

OS is XP Home SP3 with Intel 82865G Graphics Controller. I have also tried it on a second PC which has GeForce 7600GT graphics and got the same result. Any help on this would be much appreciated.

MAT ALAN 18:48 04 Mar 2009

An out of range message is normally connected to a TV or monitor that is trying to run at a resolution it does not support, could try lowering it a bit more...

Brettanicus 19:17 04 Mar 2009

The TV manual states that the supported res is 1280x768 with a refresh rate of 60. I have even tried 800x600 and while it does work when I connect the TV to a PC that has already booted up, the problem occurs when I start the PC next time. The TV displays 640x480 / 60 with the Windows startup screens then the "out of range" message comes back when it attempts to display the blue login screen. It's when I connect it back to my old CRT manual, I can then see that it's reset back to 75Mhz.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?