os on new hardrive

dolerman 01:53 16 Jan 2008

i am thinking about replacing the hard drive in one of my 2 computers.what i want to know is can i nstall an os either windows or linux straight onto it?.

[email protected] 09:13 16 Jan 2008

If you are replacing it because of lack of storage space, just add the other drive.
If it's because the existing drive is about to fail, insert the new drive and clone the old to the new.
If it's because you are upgrading the PC with a newer OS (and HDD), the anser is Yes - but remember you will have to get all your drivers for that PC handy for the installation.

dolerman 21:24 17 Jan 2008

sounds ok would i able to install mac os on new hard drive. pc is only couple years old. hard drive has broke down 3 times in last 18 months.also considering
linux.any one use linux as main os.is it any good.

DieSse 21:47 17 Jan 2008

"...but remember you will have to get all your drivers for that PC handy for the installation."

Not with Linux - that will have all the drivers you need for most hardware. It's free to try it and see how it works for you, anyway.

"..would i able to install mac os on new hard drive"

Not on a non-Apple system (at least not without major hacking).

"any one use linux as main os.is it any good."

I use it for many things, but not all. It can be very good indeed - but it's not Windows - so it doesn't run all the same programs that Windows does. It may run everything you want to run - it may not. Try it and see.

With Linux MUCH more is included in the standard install than with Windows - like office software, picture editors, and so on.

dolerman 22:27 17 Jan 2008

linux sounds ok could i just instsll on new hardrive i use firefox as main browser. i know real player will work for my music.i dont use messenger so no problems there.i have all driver disks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?