OS licence rules

Pineman100 18:32 25 Sep 2005

My 1.2GB Mesh PC is about 6 years old - originally came with Win ME. A year ago I bought Win XP and installed this instead of ME, along with Norton Internet Security 2005.

I've now decided to buy a new machine (which will inevitably come with XP pre-loaded). I intend to give my Mesh machine to my old dad, who just tiffles away doing a bit of emailing. When I do this, I'd like to load my old Norton AV 2003 back on to it for him.

My question is this - do the software licence rules allow me to (a) pass on to him my copies of Windows ME and XP (he can decide which he prefers)? And will Symantec allow him to buy a new virus definition licence for my old NAV 2003?

All the software is fully legit, and I have source CD's and licence keys.

Diodorus Siculus 18:38 25 Sep 2005

There should be no problems on either count; feel free to pass on the machines along with the operating Systems.

As for the Norton, there should be no problem either but why not save a few pounds and go for one of the free, equally good, options (Avast, AVG etc).

GaT7 18:45 25 Sep 2005

If the NAV2003 is not installed on any other machine (apart from your Dad's), it's perfectly OK. He'll receive a year of free updates - no further purchase necessary, but being 2003 he will not get free support from Symantec - but he can always come here for help : ) G

woodchip 18:50 25 Sep 2005

make sure you give him all the discs

Totally-braindead 19:40 25 Sep 2005

Agree with the others, providing the OS is not installed on another PC then you can pass it on quite legitimatly. Also agree about loading AVG instead of Norton.

PC Bilbo 19:59 25 Sep 2005

The rule with XP is that the License attaches to the PC and not the owner so no problems there.

Regarding updating Norton License for updates, I have always found it much cheaper to buy an OEM disk and do a fresh install rather than pay Symantec online as you will pay 20% VAT as they operate from Eire.

bremner 20:48 25 Sep 2005

"The rule with XP is that the License attaches to the PC"

Not so - this is only the case with OEM licences.

ventanas 21:12 25 Sep 2005

bremner is right, and assuming your cd is retail, then it is perfectly legal to pass it to your father along with the pc. But I would look out for one possible problem. Your new pc may come with XP preloaded, but what sort of recovery options will you have. Often you will only get a ghosted recovery disc, or no disc at all. If you ever need to do a repair of your installation you will need an XP cd, Recovery discs are no good for this. Just something worth considering.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:18 25 Sep 2005

Give him the PC you keep the CD (he'll only lose it anyway). You will be the one that's going to have to reinstall it for him etc.

Make a note of the product key on your new machine and use this key with your old CD on your machine if required.

And the CD plus original key on his machine when requred.

woodchip 09:31 26 Sep 2005

Lets get this Strait About OEM and XP. If the OEM is loaded by a Retailer and you have no CD, You still have the Licence attached to the Computer this is a Unique number to your computer. The number is not on the CD. So any XP CD should work with the Key however, I do thing that they are done in Batches so that a part of the key Number will only work with Certain CD's. But I can Get a New Motherboard and get a Full OEM CD at the same time as I buy the Motherboard With a XP book and Key. This can be used by you on One PC in theory after about three months Microsoft in this country are governed by Data Protection Act and have to remove Activation Information so there is no way that they would know if you loaded the CD on another computer. This I know is not Legal. However it could be done. But going back to the OEM's the disc does not be renewed every time you fit a new Mobo etc you just reactivate the Licence. If what you said above about OEM's this would stop you Upgrading the Computer, as lots of the upgrades make it as you have to reactivate the License and would not be in line with what MS are trying to do. That is stop People Getting something for nothing, and people making money dishonestly by selling cracked XP discs.

woodchip 09:34 26 Sep 2005

Just to add. You could upgrade a OEM computer until it was a completely New and Different Computer and the License would still be Valid

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone