O.S. on a Laptop Difficult problem

peterleemaxwell 15:32 16 Apr 2006

Hi, A friend of mine in his 70's came to me with his ageing lap-top stating it froze up even on loading. It was running windows 98. The first thing I did to try and help him was running a de-frag and clearing out the gash. This never helped so I then up-graded to Windows ME. There was still no improvement so with 32 Mb of RAM I placed another 32Mb in the drive thus ending up with 74MB. I then decided to format and start over again. This is where the trouble started. I cannot get an operating system onto it. I tried windows ME and XP without success. In fact they just will not load stopping half way through. I thought maybe it was a CD ROM problem, but as I loaded Linux onto the hard drive this worked but had no sound and scene as he is old (not the best for operation), so this ruled out a 'dodgy' Cd ROM. The spec of the laptop is a 333AMD3DCPU and although there is no name on the lap-top, being a generic one it has the letters and numbers FT6720. Any suggestions that I might try to eliminate possible hardware problems or and any suggestions at all?

pokemom 15:49 16 Apr 2006

so have u reformatted completly and tried fresh install ,is that right

peterleemaxwell 16:27 16 Apr 2006

Hi pokemom,
Yes I have completely formated (Using FDISK)and on the XP I tried it stopped with the Message Error;- SU0325.
I have tried 98+Me+XP. All have failed.

VoG II 16:30 16 Apr 2006
  remind 16:32 16 Apr 2006

Don't bother with XP, it needs a least 128mb and a faster CPU. 98 is more stable than ME.
Error message; click here
Bad .cab files, damaged CD or failing hardware.

If you can get into the bios and find out the manufacturer of the hard-drive, download a diagnostic from their site and check the drive.
click here

peterleemaxwell 16:38 16 Apr 2006

VoG™+remind,
Thanks to you both for a fast response. I will give it a go. Always found this forum most helpful with very technical blokes to give help.
Best Wishes

DrScott 17:29 16 Apr 2006

Is the fan working okay? Recently fixed similar crashing problems in a friend's laptop by fiddling with the fan and getting it to work again - an overheating CPU will crash the system

woodchip 17:36 16 Apr 2006

Messed up MBR. do this put a Win98 floppy in drive then type at A:\>

A:\>FDISK /MBR press enter key then try loading the Win98 CD if it will not go start with Floppy disc at A:\> type

A:\>FORMAT C: then restart with floppy in drive, at A:\> type

A:\>E: press enter, at E:\> type with Windows98se CD in comp

E:\>SETUP press enter you will need the CD key

peterleemaxwell 18:59 16 Apr 2006

DrScott+woodchip,
Thanks for the input. I have it at the stage where it may go past the load up screen but sometimes it 'freezes'. When it does load seems to work reasonably well. Just a case of keep starting until it goes. Thanks to you both.

woodchip 19:39 16 Apr 2006

It's heat related, More than likely the CPU fan needs cleaning

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review: Hands-on

Illustrator Andrés Lozano on his improv line work, brazen use of colours & hand sketching

iPhone X review

Comment envoyer gratuitement des gros fichiers ?