OS on Dead HDD

jagsman 12:55 22 Nov 2007

My Hard drive has decided to commit suicide, it had OEM version of Vista Premium installed on it. I burned the recovery disc when i first got the PC, but will it be of any use to me? Can i use the recovery disc to install Vista onto my new Hard Drive? or have i lost everything? The reason i ask is because i was led to believe that the recovery disc does not contain the full set of files needed for a new installation, it also requires files that are hidden on the original hard drive. Can someone please help ?

thank you

MAJ 13:08 22 Nov 2007

As you'll need a new hard drive in any case, why not just try it and see. I don't use Vista yet, so I'm not sure if it's just a recovery in case of a crash, or, a complete recovery in case of a dead hard drive, as in your case.

xania 14:34 22 Nov 2007

I don't know how old your PC is, but I would have thought that your warranty should cover a replacement HDD with the OS installed - but, of course, you've lost all your oter files.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?