OS Choices menu

presidente 10:14 16 Sep 2004

Hi. I have a Dell Dimension 2400 that on bootup defaults to the Microsoft windows xp setup line, i have to stand by it every bootup and curser it up one line to MS windows xp home edition and hit enter in only a small time frame. Anyone know how to default it back onto the home edition line? Thankks

Carpigiani 10:50 16 Sep 2004

Hopefully this will help click here;en-us;827324&Product=winxp

johnnyrocker 10:52 16 Sep 2004

old link fraid.

johnny.

Carpigiani 10:53 16 Sep 2004

OOPS that didn't quite work. I'll try again
click here;en-us;827324&Product=winxp

Carpigiani 11:02 16 Sep 2004

Go to click here
Click 'Sopport'
In 'For Solutions Containing' Type 'Microsoft Windows XP Setup Remains in Boot.ini'
Select the second article down
This should help

presidente 11:59 16 Sep 2004

Carpigiani,
followed the link, applied the changes and got as far as save then i kept getting the popup " Cannot create the C:\boot.ini file make sure path and filename are correct.

temp003 12:25 16 Sep 2004

This looks like you have tried a repair or installation of XP which got aborted mid-way.

Try another way.

When you manage to boot into XP, right click My Computer, Properties, Advanced tab, startup and recovery, settings.

In the section for default operating system, click the down arrow to the right to get the drop down list and select the other choice, i.e. "Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

In the box for "Display operating systems for" how many seconds, change it to 30.

Click OK, OK etc until you exit System Properties.

Now go back into startup and recovery, settings, click the Edit button, which opens the boot.ini file in Notepad.

All you need to do now is to delete the line under [operating systems] that says something like:

C:\$WIN_NT$.~bt\bootsect.dat="Microsoft Windows XP setup"

Just delete that line.

Click File, Save. See if it will save. If so, exit Notepad. Click OK, OK until you exit the System Properties window again. Restart and you should boot straight into XP.

If it works, in My Computer, go to C drive, and find the folder $WIN_NT$.~BT and delete it. This is where the temporary installation files are copied (which would have got deleted if the installation had completed).

presidente 12:33 16 Sep 2004

hi temp003,
I had just come to the same result after looking at MNBA- 289022 .
Thanks Guys.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?