Organizing GCSE Work!

JanaMan 20:13 04 Oct 2006

Hello i am currently doing my Applied ICT course by Edexcel for GCSE's. My Tutor advised me to further implement my use of ICT in the coursework that i must hand in.

The question is: - Is there a way of constructing a system so that i can easily search through and find a piece of work in an amount of coursework?

I was thinking some kind of search engine to do this. I am happy to implement this using anyway possible.

Its in a bid to make my GCSE use as minimal paper as possible as well as using ICT in the presentation of the work.

I have my own host and domain so that isnt a problem I also know that my host allows most server side scripts and other features that you may need!

I think i have written this clearly enough!

VoG II 20:19 04 Oct 2006

I would have thought that Microsoft Access or another relational database would be the ideal candidate for this. It is also possible to set-up databases in Excel but they are only really suitable for very simple cases.

JanaMan 20:30 04 Oct 2006

hmmm - im not a pro at Access but if i was to setup a database where i could search through the date, subject or keywords would it be able to open up another window with the document as a PDF.

As well as this would i be able to turn the database to something based on a web browser because the final result needs to be on a server that my examiners could access easily, retrieve the work and then if possible (but not needed) comment and rate the work as well as adding the mark, which would be informal of course

JanaMan 21:02 04 Oct 2006

Any1 have any ideas/

fitshase 21:17 04 Oct 2006

The system I am developing for work is using a MySQL database (free) and PHP for the web side of things. You can search through any field in the database using the web interface. You can also set it to allow people to add text into the database fields.

However, you do not mention what coursework you want to search. If it is loads of Word and Excel documents then I am unable to think of anything that can search within these without opening the files first.

JanaMan 19:04 05 Oct 2006

I have put up this question in the webdesign section as it is more relevant - i will just say this is resolved - But it isnt!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?