Orange Spam - change of email address

bullseye50 17:50 13 Dec 2007

I have orange broadband and I am now getting over 500 spam messages a day through my freeserve account many of which bypass the filters and go directly into the in-box. I asked the orange helpline if i could change the email address on my billing account to avoid spam. 30 mins later and £15 poorer, the tech line talked me through the setup for a dial-up account! I can't seem to make anyone understand. Has anyone else had similar problems, or better still provide a solution? The only redeeming feature with Orange is that the broadband connection is reliable, otherwise I would change the ISP.

Woolwell 18:08 13 Dec 2007

The problem is that the freeserve e-mail address is also your account address and the bit after @ cannot be changed.

I found that quite a lot of spam wasn't using my name before the freeserve account details but made up rubbish. I used their webmail filters to move some of the more commonly junk mail into the delete folder on webmail. This is not downloaded to your e-mail reader and is automatically deleted after 7 days.
Article Orange Help kb 2171 why am I receiving someone else's emails? states how to set up thses filters.

SANTOS7 18:13 13 Dec 2007

click here

this will help,good luck...

johnnyrocker 18:14 13 Dec 2007

or get yourself mailwasher click here

johnny

johnnyrocker 18:15 13 Dec 2007

must type faster ;)

johnny.

MAJ 18:24 13 Dec 2007

Mailwasher is good and I like it but don't use it any longer, I also find Spamihilator excellent, I do use it at the moment. Another option is to set up a Gmail account and direct all your Orange mail to that address (their spam filters are very good). You can then use your email client to collect the 'good' emails from Gmail. Just check Gmail's spam folder every now and then to make sure no 'good' emails have been moved in there.

bullseye50 18:47 13 Dec 2007

Thanks but I have used up all the filters and I am still getting 50 emails daily avoiding the filters and the spam box. I currently have 4500 in 6 days! I could use mailwasher but it is obvious things will only get worse. I just wish I could get someone at Orange to recognise the problem and allow me to change my account to [email protected] or similar. The other question is why are not the orange spam filters more effective?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:47 13 Dec 2007

I agree my "orange" freeserve account has gone crazy with spam over the last few weeks.

Tried mailwasher but have gone back to Spamihilator much better.

will try Woolwells links and see if it improves.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?