Orange Networking.

camey 19:19 28 Dec 2007

Hello.Thanks for reading this. I'm asking this questions because I don't have a clue about networking systems.
I want to set up a system that connects 2 laptops to my Desktop PC (Windows XP) which is already connected to the internet (broadband) via a Speedtouch modem, provider is Orange.Laptops which I havn't bought yet will be the Toshiba Equium A200 1VO.

1. Do I have to use the Orange Livebox setup as I am on they are the provider.

2. Can I use other manufacturers Routers, if so what about the Belkin B5DUKO45 (because it appears to give a good range and my house is long with thick stone walls).

3. Does the above routers connect directly by cable to my main PC as it doesn't need to be wireless.

4. How easy or difficult would this be to set up, remember I know VERY little about wireless routing.

Thanks again.

TonyM 19:48 28 Dec 2007

I am with Oragnge and the answers to your questions are:

1) No ,

2) You can use any ADSL router ...I have a Netgear DG834N, but previously used a Safecomm one ...both work fine. (don't have any experience of the Belkin model, sorry)

3) You will need a machine wired direct to the router to do the setup stuff, after that it isn't necessary - but I would recommend keeping your desktop as a wired connection (if it is close to the router).

4) Very easy ....all you need is your Orange user name and account password to enter into the router and you should be online straight away..both my routers came with very simple setup instrctions

camey 15:56 01 Jan 2008

Thanks for your help, just the answers I was hoping for, bought the Netgear DG834PN instead so hope it gives me the range needed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?