Orange mobile dongle with BB router problem

s7ewart 11:48 25 Apr 2010

I have an Orange E 1752 mobile dongle which works when plugged into my PC (Orange software installed) I want to use the dongle in a Edimax 3G 6200n broadband router. I have connected the router to the PC using cable supplied with router and put the Orange dongle in the USB slot in the router - The router light shows a 3G connection and the dongle shows it is live (slow blinking of blue light) but it won't connect - What else do I need to do to make it work

mgmcc 13:08 25 Apr 2010

I have read through the Quick Installation Guide (pdf file) and have to confess to being quite confused by it.

At some point it is necessary to "dial" into the 3G service in order to Connect, i.e. to get from blinking blue to steady blue. The "number" to dial will be a GPRS type, such as *99***1#

If you plug the dongle into the PC (with its software properly installed) there will be a dialup connection in the Network Connections folder. Double clicking this will connect to the service and, when using the router, it [the router] needs to be able to perform this function.

s7ewart 15:04 25 Apr 2010

I have entered the correct dial up number and whilst the network connectons says that the local connecton is open the blue light on the dongle still flashes and does not connect - Is it me??

mgmcc 15:28 25 Apr 2010

The computer will get its internet access over the network from the router. Its Local Area Connection in the Network Connections folder should get a 192.168.2.x IP address. You *DON'T* try to run a dialup connection in the PC; the router must be configured to perform this task.

Where have you "entered the correct dial up number"?

s7ewart 15:47 25 Apr 2010

I have entered it in the box titled "AT dial up script"

mgmcc 21:15 25 Apr 2010

Where is that - in the router's settings?

If using "AT" commands, I would have thought you'd need a string such as:

ZDT*99***1#

'Z' resets the modem

'DT' instructs the modem to Dial using Tones

then follows the GPRS type "number". Without the DT command, the modem won't dial.

s7ewart 09:06 26 Apr 2010

I have added ZDT in front of the *99***1# - but no luck - When in the router quick set up it asks for User Name, Password, APN, Pin code and AT dial up script - I have contacted Orange a few days ago and they were very vague and said that the only thing thay could help with was the pin code which they said was 1111 - I emailed them late yesterday to try to make sure that there is no other info I should be entering - Still awaiting a reply - Thanks for all your help

mgmcc 11:20 26 Apr 2010

Several years ago, when I was involved in connecting Psion PDAs to the internet, we used modem "scripts" but I don't think this is where you need to be. The script only came into play after the number had been dialled and the ISP prompted for particular responses.

In the Quick Setup Guide, there is a section about setting up software in the PC with some 'dongles' and this may be what you need to do. The whole thing seems particularly complicated and you may need to get someone knowledgeable in this area who can also get "hands on" access to your hardware to try and sort it out for you.

However, a couple of things to try:

1) Make sure you have the latest firmware in the router.

2) Enter as the APN (Access Point Name) either "orangeinternet" or "consumerinternet" (without the quote marks) and see if that gets you any further forward. Obviously, if Orange give you a different APN then you'd use that. If you have software for the dongle already installed in the PC, that should show the APN that's being used. Enter the same one in the router's settings.

s7ewart 14:14 26 Apr 2010

Have the latest firmware and after finding out the APN I entered that and the blue light on the dongle came on and stayed on BUT I still cannot connect to the internet - I have checked the local area connection and this is enabled and is sending & receiving packets - The 3G light on the router is now flashing but still it will not connect

mgmcc 19:15 26 Apr 2010

If the dongle's light is steady and the router's 3G light is flashing, you should be connected. According to the Quick Setup Guide, the router's 3G light flashes when data is being transferred.

In a PC connected to the router, can you open a Command Prompt window ("Start > Run", type CMD and click OK) then, at the prompt, type...

IPCONFIG /ALL

...and press Enter. This will show details of all network adapters installed in the PC. Right click in the Command Prompt window, "Select All" and press Enter to copy the details to the clipboard. Paste the details into a forum reply here.

If you are unable to paste the details directly from the computer, because it cannot get online, paste them instead into a blank "Notepad" file, transfer the file to a working PC and copy/paste the details from there.

s7ewart 22:21 26 Apr 2010

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\->IPCONFIG/ALL

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : MARTIN_1
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : SiS 900-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Ada
ter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-13-8F-12-85-E5
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.101
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 26 April 2010 17:44:27
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 23 April 2020 17:44:27

PPP adapter Internet Everywhere:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-53-45-00-00-00
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 89.195.133.88
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 89.195.133.88
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 193.36.79.100
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

C:\Documents and Settings\->

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?