Orange Livebox

User-D5390C4E-4227-4FF3-B80F5A0BD992009C 16:33 25 Nov 2006

I've just installed my new Orange Livebox using the ethernet cable. How would I know whether my computer is secure? Is it possible for someone sitting outside my house in a car with a laptop and wi-fi card to access my pc and files?

At some time I want to get a second, wireless enabled pc. Is it possible for someone to intercept the radio transmissions between the new pc and the Livebox? I can't see how radio waves can be secure, especially with credit card information

I'm running XP Pro with NOD 32 antivirus and Zone Alarm fire wall. Do I need any more software? This wireless thing is dead confusing

mgmcc 17:58 25 Nov 2006

For the moment, if you are connecting by ethernet cable, disable the router's wireless capability so that it is impossible for any "uninvited guests" to connect to it.

When you do start to use it "wirelessly", you need to set up WEP or WPA encryption so that a Wireless Network Adapter can only connect to the router after the correct encryption "key" has been entered.

You don't need any additional software and it isn't really confusing - think of "wireless" networking as the same as "wired", except the physical ethernet cable is replaced by a radio link.

Shutt1e 17:30 27 Nov 2006

teh router already comes with a wpa it is on the bottom of ure box

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone