Orange Broadband Internet Connection drops out?

Tinkey Winkey 22:09 23 Jul 2007

I'm really fed up with my orange broadband internet connection dropping out on a daily basis.

My router lights flash furiously as if the router is restarting and I loose my net connection for about 1-2 mins.

No big deal I hear you say but when you're in the middle of an online game it's really frustrating 'cause you have to exit the game and come back in again and you loose the score you've worked so hard to get grrrr.

I'd like to know if this happens with anyone else's orange BB in particular aswell as other BB providers.

Alternatively do you think my router is on it's way out please?

RobCharles1981 22:18 23 Jul 2007

I know how you feel, I'm on AOL and at times I can't fault it but sometimes it drops out when I'm gaming it sucks big time, I don't think its the router I don't think, but one thing thou make sure you have the latest firmware for it that might help things.

Tinkey Winkey 22:22 23 Jul 2007

ok thanx rob - I'd still like to know if this is a common ISP problem though.

Think I heard something on the radio about the isps switching networks at times to cope with traffic hebce the drop out - not sure if this is correct though?

More importantly are you using an isp that doesn't suffer from this so I can switch please?

Dipso 22:27 23 Jul 2007

Probably a good idea to check here for similar problems click here

DJfree33 22:46 23 Jul 2007

We had the same problem with our orange broadband too, cutting out all the time, most fustrating when playing online poker.
After many hours on the phone and at great cost as they kept blaming BT and BT saying it is orange.
We were using a belkin wireless router at the time and in the end orange sent us there own router(orange Livebox) and also an adaptor so we could run broadband on wifes laptop at same time and all of this solved the problem for us. Now we only get cut of a few times a month if unlucky.
Hope this helps

Tinkey Winkey 23:07 23 Jul 2007

Thx DJfree33
I am using the supplied Livebox but it's a Wanadoo version ( before they changed name ).

DJfree33 23:17 23 Jul 2007

We were with wanadoo first as well, then they changed with out even asking us if we wanted to carry on with then, if you call them you should get their live box for free, but can't promise this will cure your problem. Don't let them fob u off by saying its your internet settings because if you are connecting up some of the time and not others it has to be an external problem, brother in law is very up on the internet and says the settings very rarely go wrong on there own.

Tinkey Winkey 23:25 23 Jul 2007

I happen to have an Orange Livebox which a friend gave to me as a spare - he never used it because he wanted to use a Netgear router indstead.
I'll try that and see if it works - would rule out a dodgy router anyways.
Will post back when I've done it.

I would still like to hear if anyone else is having frequent net drop-outs please?

Mogga 06:58 08 Oct 2007

I have Orange with livebox and experience exactly the same problem. I am going to cure this by dropping orange. I never had this problem with Freeserve or Wanadoo.

JohnH3074 23:10 15 Oct 2007

I have been on Wanadoo/Orange for a couple of years. It works OK as long as on Ethernet or using my wi-fi laptop.
I have issues when I try to use the Wanadoo supplied wi-fi adaptor and the live box.
It connects to start with but will last between 5-15 minutes before the connection fails.
I then need to repair the connection on my PC.
The more times I do this, the shorter the connected time becomes.
This makes it impossible to download anything as the connection fails before the download is completed.
The help desk is utterly useless and have you repeating the same steps over and over again.
I am close to cancelling my contract if I cant resolve this which is unfortunate as it works on my laptop!
Any ideas?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?