Orange Broadband

Daiol 13:51 11 Nov 2008

Hi,Is there anyone out there using the above broadband if so can you assist me,Ive been using this service now for about 6yrs,1stly it was freeserve 2ndly it went to wanadoo,now its orange.I,m paying £17-99p per month for a 2mg broadband they want to offer me 8mg but the area where i live bt lines are not good enough for 8mg.Anyway i went to orange site and did a speed test today at 1340hrs and the results were.Downstream 1.8Mbps & Upstream 0.2Mbps.Now these figures dont mean a lot to me but can someone please put me on the correct track to see if i'm getting what i'm paying for.Thanks daiol.

MAJ 13:55 11 Nov 2008

Yes those readings are correct for 2 Mbps connection.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:40 11 Nov 2008

Yes I'm the same on the old package upto 8meg 2G limit with the livebox, but line doesn't seem to go above 2Mbps

Think you may actually get a 6G limit on this now.

Don't bother going for the £20 package if your line won't go above 2Mbps

laurie53 19:38 11 Nov 2008

You should be able to get a cheaper package than that.

I have also been with Orange since Fresserve days and earlier this year I asked them for a MAC code.

They immediately offered me three months free, an increase in speed and removed my download limit.

Try it - you've got nothing to lose.

gazmix 19:55 11 Nov 2008

i have been with orange ages, 1st i was homestarter, which i believed was 6gb download, now i'm on something called broadband plus, which i'm told you can only go on if your already a customer, i pay £12 a month & get local rate tech support calls which is important to me (which you don't get with Homestarter), but only 2gb download allowance!

Fruitbat, is it now 6?, as i did initially use a lot of youtube & was charged extra on my bill?.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:28 11 Nov 2008

It seems the orange packages have changed again
click here

laurie53 07:43 12 Nov 2008

They can claim what they like, I am still getting less than 1 meg!

Salut 09:55 12 Nov 2008

I'm with laurie53 on that.

We recently moved area and can now only get .5 Mbps. Used to get 4.5Mbps

A line test with another supplier suggests that I could get 2.0 Mbps. Queries to Orange meet with deathly silence.

I can't always understand the comment about distance from the exchange affecting the speed-we are now closer to the exchange than before...

I shall definately be changing isp as soon as is possible.

Jak_1 11:38 12 Nov 2008

I have been with Orange since the freeserve era too, I now have the upto 8 meg package with unlimited download via a livebox. My speeds are usually around 5.5 - 6 meg during the quiet periods and I am at the far end of the line from the exchange, approx 4km as the crow flies. This is in the Manchester area which does help being a big city.
I have had very few problems with Orange so I suppose I am lucky really.

Daiol 19:29 12 Nov 2008

Does anyone know the best way to get intouch with Orange ??,Its all india stuff.daiol

Daiol 20:10 12 Nov 2008

Hi,Thankyou all for your replies very interesting reading i must say.Now then if i decide to come off orange broadband what would be my next choice ??,shall it be with BT,I dont have sky and virgin is not in my area I live not far from swansea south wales.Any thoughts on that point please.daiol.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

30 UK artists have created vibrant posters celebrating Pride London

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?