Orange B.band Livebox using an usb connection?

buel 13:14 06 Jun 2009

Hi, please can you help me?
I recently installed xp on a brand new h.drive for a friend of mine. To test that it connected to the internet ok i used my o2 broadband cd and plugged in the ethernet cable and it worked fantastic!!
Now, my friend has Ornage broadband and a livebox so i thought everything would be ok...but now he says 2 things are happening:
1, halfway through the installation (using the Orange cd) he says that a window comes up saying 'No cd inserted' or something similar.
2, when he does manage to get past that stage and onto 'Stage 4 out of 5' he claims that the installation programme asks him to 'plug the cable from the modem to the usb port' of the pc and when he does the installation just doesn't carry on! Whatim having a problem understanding is that it is asking him to plug in a usb cable!! Surely it should be an ethernet cable running from the livebox to the pc and not a usb cable??
Please can anyone help me out with this??

brundle 13:28 06 Jun 2009

The CD is not compatible with FlashPlayer 9 or later and hangs at the point you describe, you don't need the CD to set up the Livebox for a new ISP anyway. click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:31 06 Jun 2009

Found the CD to be more trouble than its worth.

1.Connect PC to Livebox with ethernet cable to the RED port on the livebox.

2. click here or type http:// configuration.adsl/ (without the space) in your browser address line.

3. you will now be connected to the livebox click on "Access to the configuration pages (access to these pages is restricted, you must have the password)."

4. Input the username and password (admin for both if you have not changed it)

5. Click My Services - Internet - input your username in the top box and password into the bottom box, then click Validate

6. THats it you should now be connected and logged on to Orange server, try opening an internet page.

buel 13:46 06 Jun 2009

Thanks for that, i have now found out that my friend DID mean the ethernet cable, NOT a usb cable! DOH!!
Ok, he has typed http:// configuration.adsl/ and gets the message 'This page cannot be displayed', any ideas please??

buel 14:10 06 Jun 2009

How he now says that his 'Livebox' actually says on a sticker 'Thompson speedtouch 330', is this a livebox please?

brundle 14:17 06 Jun 2009

No; click here

The 330 doesn't have an ethernet connection.

Uninstall Flash 10;

Download the Flash Uninstaller; click here

Close /all/ browsers and browser windows and any instant messenging software you have running.

Run the Flash Uninstaller to get rid of previous versions. It will remove Flash from all browsers.

Reboot the PC.

Run the CD and allow it to install the version of FlashPlayer it expects (or get version 8 here click here), once set up, remove the old version using the uninstaller and install the latest again. click here

buel 14:26 06 Jun 2009

Thanks for that Brundle, that is really helpful!!

buel 23:11 06 Jun 2009

Hi again Brundle, im sorry to bother you but i was just wondering if you could please answer me a question about uninstalling the flash 10. Do you HAVE to use the flash uninstaller you gave me the link for? It's just that my friend doesn't have any other internet connection and lives 20 miles away from me so i was wondering if he could maybe use revo uninstaller to uninstall Flash 10 then reload it when he uses the new cd Orange have sent him? Just a thought.....

Many thanks for your help so far- Buel

buel 07:37 07 Jun 2009

Hi again Brundle, im sorry to bother you but i was just wondering if you could please answer me a question about uninstalling the flash 10. Do you HAVE to use the flash uninstaller you gave me the link for? It's just that my friend doesn't have any other internet connection and lives 20 miles away from me so i was wondering if he could maybe use revo uninstaller to uninstall Flash 10 then reload it when he uses the new cd Orange have sent him? Just a thought.....

Many thanks for your help so far- Buel

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:54 07 Jun 2009

The Alcatel Thompson Speedtouch 330 modem is NOT a router. It is just a modem and it needs dial-up software and USB drivers installed on the PC to work.

Again forget the orange CD flash program.

All you need is the drivers for the modem from the CD or from the web

click here

Drivers must be installed with modem disconnected from USB port.

Then Network and Internet settings,click on it.
Then Internet Options (click to open)
Now click on the Connections tab and ADD
Follow the wizard to connect via the 330 modem.

buel 12:19 07 Jun 2009

Hi, yes i see what you mean about the drivers but this friend lives a long trek away so im trying to help him on the phone, he used revo to uninstall the flash 10 and restarted his pc but, once again, the installation is freezing at stage 4, a common problem apparently! So is there anything else you can think of?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017