Optorite 1205 DVD+RW owners, help needed.

_chris_ 14:39 20 Nov 2004

Recently replaced a faulty DVD ROM drive with this new Optorite DVD+RW Dual layer drive thingie. The drive came with Sonic MyDVD v5.3. I've yet to burn a single DVD on this drive. All attempts are greeted with the same 'invalid media: check media' message. Initial attempts were with memorex DVD+R disks.

Initially I thought I'd bought the wrong media type so went back to the shop where I bought the drive and took a disk with me. He said no thats fine, it should work. He then asked me had I d/l the latest firmware from the optorite site which I hadn't. Picked up a 10pk of disks from another manufacturer (Mirror) while I was there on his recommendation.

On arriving home I d/l the firmware 120E which was an 'improved media compatibility' update. It all leaned towards optorite understanding there were media compatibility issues and fixing it promptly with the firmware.

Unfortunately the firmware made no difference to my situation, still the same error message. I now have a growing pile of (seemingly)useless media. Any ideas?

pj123 14:58 20 Nov 2004

I just checked this drive out and as your supplier has said there should be no problems.

It is a DVD +/- RW dual layer burner.

It depends on what you are trying to burn to DVD, Sonic MyDVD is for burning movies, slide shows etc..

What size DVDs are you using, you say Memorex DVD +R, but are they 4.7gb or 9.6gb?

Unfortunately, although the drives are now dual layer there are not many dual layer media disks on the market yet.

_chris_ 15:10 20 Nov 2004

Thanks for the response pj

The memorex disks are 4.7Gb single layer. I have rendered a 4.5Gb mpeg file from a camcorder film in Pinnacle 8. I'm trying to burn this to DVD. I'm aware I need proper dual layer disks to take advantage of the bigger capacity but it shouldn't be necessary in this case?

pj123 16:11 20 Nov 2004

No, but why are you using Pinnacle 8 (which is useless) when you said you have Sonic MyDVD 5.3?

_chris_ 16:36 20 Nov 2004

Pinnacle came with the camcorder and its what I used to transfer the film from cam to hard drive and then to edit it. I was not aware it is useless. Sonic MyDVD is a newer acquisition that came with the DVD drive and I was using that to burn the disk.

_chris_ 18:00 02 Dec 2004

Problem solved. Took the problem drive out and returned it to the shop to be bench tested. Drive was found to be faulty. New drive working fine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?