Optimum PC for video work?

1936 18:52 06 Mar 2007

I am wondering about buying a PC just for capturing and editing film from old VHS tapes and a digital camcorder later on but search as hard as I could I could find no thread when I keyed the following into "search".
"Optimum computer spec for video editing."
Is there such a thing as an optimum pc for such work?

De Marcus™ 21:04 06 Mar 2007

Video editing is a very subjective area of computing.

You could buy that all singing all dancing machine that will encode your videos 5 minutes faster that last years model but when you consider it takes an hour or two to encode it in the first place what difference does 5 minutes make? (Depending on the quality and length of the video captured in the first place.)

In other words for a home user (assumption no 1) any modern pc with the right hardware will suffice. On the other hand if you plan on getting into video editing long term then you'll appreciate higer spec hardware (assumption no 2).

What would really help is if you could tell us your budget and we can guide you to a machine that will suit in terms of price to performance.

P.S. expect a reaaaalllllyyyy long post if you say money is no object :-)))

1936 21:31 06 Mar 2007

Subject to being able to divert the bank statements I can go to £800.00 or so.

hastelloy 07:29 07 Mar 2007

For my previous thread on this subject click here

1936 09:11 07 Mar 2007

The specs look interesting but were they from a specalist pc builder or is it possible to buy off the peg? If so, which supplier?

hastelloy 07:25 08 Mar 2007

I had difficulty finding an "off the peg" solution. The nearest I got was the highly recommended (on these forums) Novatech click here. I have since had experience of their first rate customer service.

1936 09:38 08 Mar 2007

I Clicked onto your "click here" and the Novatech web page came up but I could not work out which computer you were reffering to.
I also tried keying Novatech into the PC Advisor search but got nowhere. Could you please let me know which Novatech computer you were refering to.
By the way, every time that I placed my curser over the "Customer Service" hint in your reply an "inQuira" pop up appeared.

hastelloy 13:00 08 Mar 2007

On the Novatech site, put the cursor onto Products, then system solutions, then PC systems and look down their range. They only supply with Vista preinstalled but will supply without an OS installed but with XP to install yourself.

1936 13:27 08 Mar 2007

I apologise for being so thick but I am very new to this video/film business.
You say, "I had difficulty finding an "off the peg" solution. The nearest I got was the highly recommended (on these forums) Novatech."
Could you let me know what that solution was. In other words, what particular computer.
Many thanks.

hastelloy 18:58 08 Mar 2007

Was what I was looking at. With your budget you may be able to go up a range or 2 depending on the OS you want. Unfortunately there were some upgrades that Novatech couldn't do (a faster HDD was one). If you look at the advice you were given earlier and that I received in my thread, you can compare with what's on offer. I went for a custom build to get a better spec but ended up spending almost twice my original budget!! Don't forget to make sure that the OS and any other software you need is allowed for as well as monitor, keyboard, mouse, printer etc. also VAT. I also have external HDDs for backups and extra storage - video uses very large files.
As De Marcus said, it depends how much video editing you're planning on doing.
I originally was using Ulead Video Studio 10+, which some people swear by, but I found it unstable. Others favour Pinnacle which I haven't used but had read that it is less stable than Ulead. I have just started using Adobe Premier Elements (I haven't had a chance to do any video for several months)and am impressed so far. It's not as intuitive as Ulead though. You can download trial versions of some software.
I hope this helps.

1936 21:14 08 Mar 2007

Novatech Sales recommend:
Isys Pro 6300 at £477.63

Processor; Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 2MB Cache Dual Core 64 BitProcessor

Memory: 2048MB 533MHz DDR2 Ram

Hard Drive: 250GB Serial ATA II Hard Drive

Graphics: nVidia 7600GT 256MB PCI-E Graphics

Sound: 5.1 High Definition Audio

Optical Drive: 16x Dual Layer +R/-R/RW DVD burner

LAN: Gigabit LAN

Features: • ATX Midi Tower Case

• 3 x 5.25" Drive Bays

• 4 x 3.5" (2xInt, 2xExt) Bays

• 2 x 400MHz DDR slots (2GB max)

• 1 x Parallel Port, 1 x Serial Port

• 6 x USB2 (2 Front, 4 Back)

• Gigabit LAN

• 5.1 High Definition Audio Sound

• Dimensions (mm)-
192 (W) x 432 (H) x 445 (D)

• Novatech Keyboard & Optical Mouse

Novatech recommend a SAMSUNG and a 19” is the SM940N 19" TFT, 8ms, 700:1 Contrast, Silver at £138.06 so a totall of £615.69

Marvin42 mentions an: NForcer 420 at £601.00

Processor: AMD Athlon X2 4200 Dual Core 64 Bit Processor

Memory: 2048MB PC5400 667Mhz DDR Ram

Hard Drive: 320GB Serial ATA II HardDrive

Graphics: nVidia 7600GT 256MB PCI-E Graphics Card

Sound: Integrated 5.1 Channel Audio

Optical Drive:16x Dual Layer +R/-R/RW DVD burner

LAN: 1 x Gigabit LAN

Features: • ATX Midi Tower Case

• 3 x 5.25" Drive Bays

• 4 x 3.5" (2xInt, 2xExt) Bays

• 4 x DDR slots (4GB max)

• 1 x Parallel Port, 1 x Serial Port

• 6 x USB2 (2 Front, 4 Back)

• 1 x Gigabit LAN

• Integrated 5.1 Channel Audio Sound

• Front Mounted Audio

• Dimensions (mm)-192 (W) x 432 (H) x 445 (D)

• Microsoft Wireless Optical Keyboard & Mouse

Novatech recommend a SAMSUNG and a 19” is the SM940N 19" TFT, 8ms, 700:1 Contrast, Silver at £138.06 so a totall of £739.06

I have a large number of VHS tapes to edit and I am not sure that my current computer is that effective so, which one would you go for?
By the way. I am only going to use the new machine for video and building slides of digital and other types of photographs so do I need an operating system?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Aardman's new YouTube channel to share the work of independent animators

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017