Optical drives shut down pc

Cuddles 15:59 16 Nov 2009

When trying to run a cd the drives shut down the pc, have disabled system restart, did not make any difference, could it be yhe psu?

Technotiger 16:24 16 Nov 2009

More likely a faulty drive I would think. Have you checked the drives connections, within the PC? could even just be a loose power connection or more likely the cable connection to mobo.

Cuddles 16:37 16 Nov 2009

Have checked the power connections they are all ok, replaced the cables from the ide connections on the board to the drives, two drives run from ide on board one drive runs from a scsci card, all three drives have run fine since the system was built four years ago, just before it restarts the middle drive light comes on even though the first or third drive are being used, have tried each drive one at a time still the same.

Technotiger 18:48 16 Nov 2009

Yes, it could possibly be the PSU - how old is it and what Watts?

Tugum 21:32 16 Nov 2009

Have you got Pinnacle Instant Drive installed? If so, I had the same problem a couple of days ago with my DVD drive which was being caused by this program no longer working correctly. System no longer crashes after I uninstalled it.

woodchip 22:15 16 Nov 2009

Try taking the scsci card out the see what happens with the other drive

Cuddles 12:16 17 Nov 2009

Thanks for all your replies, the PSU is 4 years old and 400w, new PSU installed, problem solved.

Technotiger 15:06 17 Nov 2009

Grreat, thanks for your feedback.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?