optical drive

greyballs 20:10 14 Aug 2008

hi just befor i do thought i would ask.i am using a acer 2410 notebook and in a last ditch attempt to fix the thing i was going to uninstall and then reinstall my dvd-rw drive (via the device manager) which is the problem.as my machine came pre-loaded with xp would i still be able to reinstall the drive.

MAT ALAN 20:18 14 Aug 2008

windows will find the drive when you reboot, there are no third party drivers it is run by the generic drivers supplied by your O/S...

greyballs 21:01 14 Aug 2008

thanks mat done that and then clicked on 'scan for changes to hardware' message popped up saying found new hardware so will do it again but shut down this time and see if that will solve the problem with the dvd-rw

skidzy 22:09 14 Aug 2008

Can you post your exact problem with your dvd drive ?

Thats assuming you still have a problem after trying Mats advice.

MAT ALAN,me ol mucker,hows it hanging :-))

greyballs,some tips here if you still have any problems...but we really need to know the problem.

Missing cd/dvd drives can be normally associated with the removal of burning software such as Nero/Roxio/Sonic/Easy CD Creator etc.
And not showing the drive in My Computer.

Try the below link ,if still no luck follow the Procedure of removing the upper and lower filters.

click here

If no joy with the above fix,try the Microsoft Guided Help

click here scroll down to the Guided help download and follow the instructions.

If still no joy,follow the manual fix below.

If you have further any error codes,please post them.

Restore Missing CD/Dvd Drives

Missing cd/dvd drive
If it is showing an error code:
Code 19, Code 31, Code 32, Code 39, or Code 41
, delete the drive.

Then follow these directions for clearing the Upper/Lower Filters: (might want to print this out)

1. Click on Start --> Run --> and type in 'regedit' followed by the enter key ( if Vista Start search or windows+R )
2. Expand the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" key (looks like a folder) by double clicking it (or
3. clicking the "+" next to it.)
4. Expand the "SYSTEM" Key
5. Expand the "CurrentControlSet" Key
6. Expand the "Control" Key
7. Expand the "Class" Key
8. Please look for a key containing the following string of letter and numbers:
{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
9. High light this key by left clicking once on it
10. On the right hand side you are looking for "UpperFilters" and "LowerFilters" under the "Name" column, once you find these please delete them by right clicking on them and choosing "delete"
11. Please exit the registry by clicking on the "X" in the top right hand corner of the screen

Reboot your computer

.If in any doubt editing the registry,please create a System Restore point first and also backup your registry....The guidedhelp from Microsoft on backing up the registry is a good lesson for anyone to learn. click here

Creating a System Restore point:

Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore…follow the prompts.

greyballs 23:09 14 Aug 2008

hi skidzy wow looks like a job for tomorrow (on my 4th bottle of dark island watching will wallace)any way to be as accurate as pos i can still play dvd/cd but i have to start it through the icon in my computer instead of the menu that used to appear but also when i try to burn a disc iget a 'please insert a blank disc' although i have it dose not seem to recognise that.quite a while ago now i ran a clean reg prog and i just feel that it deleted something it shouldnt have?

skidzy 15:52 15 Aug 2008

Ah ! so autoplay is not working then greyballs ?

Try the repair wizard click here

'please insert a blank disc'

This could be the media you are using,have you tried other media.

Also try a different burning program such as ;

Deepburner click here

Or;

Imgburn click here

Both are free and will burn to dvd and cd.

MAT ALAN 16:58 15 Aug 2008

Blimey Skidz, ya must have had the manual out for that one, left early yesterday, went n played some poker instead.
sound advice my friend, greyballs ya should be cookin after this,good luck...

skidzy 19:10 15 Aug 2008

Poker !! hope you won and kept your clothes...blimey what a sight Lol :-))

Mat,going to be tough going here for a while to come,ive only gone and enroled in MWR= Malwareremoval university, And its blooming hard...the research needed is unbelievable,and i thought i knew quite a bit regarding HJT logs,little did i know !!!.

Greyballs,let us know how you get along ?

greyballs 22:24 15 Aug 2008

hi skidzy cheers for that but, autofix
report 'this autoplay setting can not be fixed either the device is malfunctioning or the wizard can not determine the problem. reqired action: the wizard found problems but can not fix them'
just asking what should i see in the properties under the general tab ie. type, file system, used space, free space.?

skidzy 22:40 15 Aug 2008

Ok Greyballs,lets check the registry value;

a. Click Start, and then click Run.
b. Type regedit, and then click OK.
c. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\CDRom
d. Do one of the following:
• If the value for Autorun is 1, go to step 3-e.
• If the value for Autorun is 0, right-click Autorun, and then click Modify. In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK.
e. Locate and then click the following subkey:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
f. Look at the value of the NoDriveTypeAutoRun entry. A value of 0xb5 turns off the AutoRun feature for CD-ROMs. To turn on the AutoRun feature, right-click NoDriveTypeAutoRun, click Modify, type 91 in the Value data box, select Hexadecimal, and then click OK.
g. Quit Registry Editor.

sunny staines 09:27 16 Aug 2008

click here

try this link if above fails

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?