opteron for desktop or servers???

audigy 21:59 08 Jan 2006

hi
are opteron processors solely for servers or can they be used for desktop applications???

DieSse 22:26 08 Jan 2006

Any processor can be used for any application. However Opterons are mainly used in servers.

Any server could be used as a desktop - the reverse is not necessarily true. There's little technical difference anyway, it's more to do with the software.

audigy 22:29 08 Jan 2006

what wpold be main differnce between a athlon 64,x2,and fx series,and are there any limimtations on using software with opteron??

DieSse 22:58 08 Jan 2006

All about AMD processors click here

You see the opteron shown as being for servers and workstations.

*are there any limimtations on using software with opteron??*

No - it's a 64bit processor - so you'll really need a 64 bit OS.

audigy 22:58 08 Jan 2006

which opteron model would perform better mostly for applications?

audigy 23:28 08 Jan 2006

No - it's a 64bit processor - so you'll really need a 64 bit OS. would i be correct,that that opteron cannot run on 32bit application or OS?

DieSse 23:33 08 Jan 2006

No you wouldn't be correct - it can also run a 32 bit OS (and applications). If you read the AMD site, it's very informative.

*which opteron model would perform better mostly for applications?*

The fastest and most expensive I would imagine - that's usually the case.

DieSse 23:36 08 Jan 2006

I'm sorry if the answers seem a bit terse - but unless we know where you're coming from, it's a bit difficult to be more helpful.

Rather than answer questions in a vacuum, what are you actually trying to decide, based on the questions, you're asking. If we knew that, the answers might give you better guidance.

audigy 23:39 08 Jan 2006

thnx
are they primarily for applications,and are there any drawbacks compared with other 64 and x2
models,since i wanted mostly for applications any opinion/advice on which model to buy as my budget is around 300pounds
sry for making this unnecessirily long

007al 23:40 08 Jan 2006

I use a socket 939 Opteron 146 for my gaming system.
They run cooler than an Athlon64,so are very overclockable.I have mine at 2.8,cooled with a Thermaltake orb fan cooler,and it can go higher.They also have 1Mb L2 cache which only the high end Athlons have.As it runs at 2.8,its the equivelent of an Athlon FX55 which are around £600.My Opteron was just over £100.They are an absolute bargain,but AMD have stopped letting them go to retail,so are now hard to get hold of,or are on ebay for twice their original price.They run a 32bit OS just the same as the Athlon64 does too.SO if you can get one,you will not be dissapointed

DieSse 23:45 08 Jan 2006

*my budget is around 300pounds*

budget for what - the processor chip, or the whole system?

*i wanted mostly for applications*

All programs except the OS are applications - so it depends which applications.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?