Opinions Welcome

Steven135 14:38 10 Sep 2003

I have been working on our church website (my knowledge is stillvery basic.

I would be grateful if someone would check it out for loading time etc your comments are welcome, you were a great help when I initially set it up.

Thanks

Steven135 14:38 10 Sep 2003

Sorry site is:

click here

Forum Editor 19:38 10 Sep 2003

I'm afraid Steven. Just an ISP page with the site address.

Let us know when it's back online and we'll check it out.

Steven135 21:04 10 Sep 2003

Thank FE don't know what the problem was its the second time its happened today but it came back as soon as I logged on to file management on the Web Host.

I have uploaded again hoping that will fix it and stop it happening again.

How do you download the whole site to start again, just in case (I don't know if this is a very silly question perhaps its different with different hosts).

Forum Editor 23:21 10 Sep 2003

the whole site to start again?

Well, you shouldn't need to do it if you have kept a backup copy on your hard drive. All you need to do is upload to the server again, over-writing the existing copy that's there. The site is still not online as I post this - how are you doing the upload; what software are you using?

The best method of managing a site is to do all the work on your machine, saving your site to the hard drive. Don't work live, on the server, because if something goes wrong you'll have no backup of your changes, and you'll have to start all over again. I break that rule often if I'm in a hurry, but only in the case of minor edits.

If you have no local copy of your site, import it into your software from the server. Then save it to your hard drive, and finally upload it to the server again. Now you are 100% certain that both versions are synchronised, and there's less danger of a problem.

Steven135 00:09 11 Sep 2003

Bit baffled I have just been to the site again and its working OK I wonder if there is a problem with the server?

I am using Serif Web Plus 8 which has its own FTP this has worked OK to date. This program is basically just like a DTP simple for the likes of me and simple to change. I hope to get some time in the future to learn a lot more and then to move on.

I have a couple of Backups I back up as I go along once I think all is well.

How do you import from the server? Told you I don't know much!

whybe 01:10 11 Sep 2003

Steven. Hi I made a comment last time and it is certainly coming on. One point as a Scout Leader, please could you use our up to date logo? A whole set of Scout graphics are available at Scout Base one of the Associations sites. No copyright problem as long as it is used for legitimate purposes. Without wishing to discriminate against our sister organisation,clicking on Scouts and seeing a Brownie, I'm not sure. To other bits I would have your home page prayer in a larger font, it would stand out better and you appear to have room. Like others I couldn't get the picture below it but all others were okay. Ian

Steven135 01:26 11 Sep 2003

Whybe, thanks for the comments I'll follow your advice when I next update.

I have been to the Scout Base site but am a bit puzzled (there are many badges). I'll need to pay much more attention when I next pop in on them.

Steven135 23:58 11 Sep 2003

^

Forum Editor 07:29 12 Sep 2003

I can also see what a huge improvement it is on the original version - congratulations are definitely in order.

With my picky web designer's hat on I would prefer to see the navigation buttons repeated on all the pages - it's a little irritating to have to scroll down to the bottom text links in order to move around. The text on the buttons is pretty difficult to read by the way - white text would be far better in my opinion.

You've obviously worked very hard on this site, and I wish you much success with it.

Steven135 09:23 12 Sep 2003

Thanks FE I will implement your helpful suggestions when I next update it I'm off on holiday for a couple of weeks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?