opinions please...98, me, or xp

oneMegaBit 22:32 09 Feb 2003

just wiped my laptop's hd and can't decide which os to install. celeron 600, 192mbram, 6gbhdd, and a very poor 8mb shared video, what do you think. And don't say bin it! :-)

woodchip 22:36 09 Feb 2003

Win98se click here

woodchip 22:37 09 Feb 2003

boot disc from click here

LastChip 22:39 09 Feb 2003

without a doubt.

Too slow for XP, and ME can be "finicky", although I have to admit to using it to write this.

But with the specs you have helpfully provided, I would go with 98 (98se if possible).

leo49 23:04 09 Feb 2003

98 - Even a dedicated ME fan like myself would think it best to keep it as simple as possible with such limited space and resources available.

Regards

Pumas 23:19 09 Feb 2003

For your spec. 98 (se) would be best in my opinion.

billyliv 00:00 10 Feb 2003

Hi, ME, Love it or hate it, I say dont even think about it. I have never known an operating system cause more problems. I'm thinking Gates sent this out on purpose. Cheers, Goodnight, Take care, Bill

« Ravin » 00:06 10 Feb 2003

on the contrary i think windows me is an excellent operating system .. it might be well suited for the specs you've given us. 98 is too old and you might have a few problems with xp unless you get atleast 256mb of ram.

Phil930 00:17 10 Feb 2003

cough cough bin it cough cough!!!!

jk, 98!!

but one day treat yourself to the XPerience!!!

SpyMan²°°­­³ 00:17 10 Feb 2003

I have tried all but windows 3.1 out up till now. I had ME on my old PC which i had for about 18 months. I only ever had one conflict on it which unluckily happened on my first day of having it....it very rarely crashed....it supported all my hardware and software...it has a better looking interface than 98 and has some handy little added features such as system restore.

98 is too old and a little birdy said that even microsoft are writing it off and aren't even gonna bother supporting it anymore soon. I mean, think of the rubbish that microsoft come out with and not even they can be bothered with it. What does that say.

I do think that XP is best tho, but i think your PC may struggle slightly and if you use your computer for games then only the newest games are supported by XP...and those games will no doubt hammer your computer.

Let us know which one you finally choose

Graham

Djohn 00:28 10 Feb 2003

98se will be a good choice for your sys. specification. It is a very stable O/S, if correctly installed. And you need have no worry regarding M/S support/updates, the only ones you will require are for IE and these will continue to be available. Regards J.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone