Opinions please - trouble with external powered case or its HD?

Diemmess 17:26 26 Sep 2011

Using XP, I have an old 80G HD (IDE) in a powered case. The HD was taken from an older PC, for backing up data.

Today the inevitable happened I switched on the ext. disk and everything froze. If the autorun started at all, result, the same frozen computer.

Tried all sorts of ways without success, then took the HD out of its case and dangled it from an IDE cable in the computer.

On booting up chkdsk ran seeming to find all sorts of trouble over indices and too little free space to do something else.

And then XP ran normally, I was able to copy everything from the old HD which has 36G free. All its contents appear to be OK. The unit has been taken out of service, but I would like to know what others think might be the cause of all this bother?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~ In particular:

(A)The HD itself going down?

(B) A failure of the case's internal hardware?

(C) Corruption of one index or more due to exiting this drive without first making it safe to do so ?

(I think (C) is the cause.) Sudden disconnection with a pen drive from USB has not spoiled anything for me yet, and the HD when rigged on the IDE circuit in the computer is safely under control. But on occasions I have switched the power off at the case as a means of "clearing the deck."

Forum Editor 18:12 26 Sep 2011

on occasions I have switched the power off at the case as a means of "clearing the deck."

That has possibly been the cause of the problem, but it's not certain. It could be that the drive is telling you something - that it's time for it to be retired.

Diemmess 15:46 27 Sep 2011

Thanks FE,

The possibility of some fault in the case's hardware can be ruled out, because I now remember being there before. I recall a few years back blaming the case of an Amoco (40G) product and finding that the drive was OK (recovered) once in a new case and later with a larger drive.

It is most likely entirely my fault switching the thing off when it was still tethered by some file to the background on the computer.

Even so, I daren't risk the failing drive possibility, though it is sad to crush and bin a drive which has been so useful.

Is there free solftware which will excercise a hard disk and look for the begining of the end? Chckdsk is obvious but probably too simple

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone