Opinions Please (again).

User-645BA0C0-3AD6-49C9-99798FE12AD8252D 17:40 18 Oct 2003

After receiving some very encouraging feedback on my first attempt at a website a few weeks ago I disregarded all your great advice and redesigned the whole thing.

the truth is, as i mentioned before, I made the original site with the trial version of Dreamweaver MX which I sadly cannot afford to buy. So now that I had a little more content to add I had to build the site afresh using Net Objects Fusion7 which comes free with my hosting package (I signed up two days before they started a deal on Microsoft hosting and Frontpage 2002 for free).

Anyway, to get to the point, I would value your Feedback again, IS it too graphically intense? IS it too Slow to load? Is the navigation clear enough? and most of all, Do you like it?

Thankyou all very much in advance,
Horiz.

OOPS, I did it again, click here.

Taran 18:02 18 Oct 2003

Now that's a slick site !

It loads up fine and is not too slow over narrowband (positively flies on broadband).

I'd like to make one main suggestion though: the pages are a little too long resulting in scrolling.

This may seem a little pedantic but the whole effect is very slightly spoiled unless you have a very large monitor.

The pages look fantastic and if you can resize the content slightly you'll have it cracked.

I'm very, very impressed.

Best regards

Taran

Forum Editor 18:03 18 Oct 2003

and we'll take a look.

Forum Editor 18:06 18 Oct 2003

and a fine example of how less is more. Well done indeed.

I suggest that you consider a 'Contact us' link.

thankyou taran for your Quick and constructive reply, I have my monitors set to 1280x1024 and 1024x768 so i can imagine where the problem lies, I suspect that all the text looks huge on an 800x600 screen but I was careful about the width. I tend to forget that not everyone optimizes their screen acreage ,I get rid of most of the toolbuttons and use the menus then push the address bar up onto the toolbar to give myself an extra centimeter.

Anyway I'm glad its not too slow, as all the background images are jpegs at 100% with no compression. Thanks again and I'm glad you like it.

Taran 18:17 18 Oct 2003

It scrolls on 800x600 and 1024x768.

My 19 inch monitor is fine but the lower two monitor sizes have to scroll.

I know it's a minor grumble, but there we are.

I've clicked on it a couple of times on different systems to check it out.

Like I said at first "Wow!"

T

Thankyou 'forum Editor'

Interestingly, one of the reasons I decided to do this second attempt was that the original site contained a contact link but i was concerned about the address getting harvested. I decided to leave it out (there is a contact address in the readme notes of the programs) but I do see this as a weakness of the site so I would appreciate your advice on how to make a contact link without leaving a harvestable address. I dont have a particularly bad problem with spam at present but I,m not too keen to get one.

thanks again. H

Taran 18:34 18 Oct 2003

Try the excellent Enkoder Form 6.0 click here

Any of the JavaScript sites also feature simple scipts which break up and disguise your email address in a contact form or link.

T

Taran 18:40 18 Oct 2003

For a good rundown of general antispam measures click here

Thanks again Taran,

I took a look at the Hiveware site and encoded the address, a very useful service. now i'll just have to work out how to put it on the page (i havent a notion when it comes to the actual HTML but hey its only a computer I should be able to work it out)

Many thanks to both of you, i feel quite reassured. the site implies a professionalism far beyond the truth but these computer things have really caught my imagination.

Any Feedback on the programs themselves would be much appreciated but we'll leave that for another time. thanks again. H

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

There’s more to Finnish artist Tove Jansson than creating the Moomins

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder la Coupe du monde de rugby à XIII en direct ?