Is a Operating system with license as good as RD

erkmatrix 18:06 02 Aug 2006

Please could you tell me as I want to buy now a new machine but this time want to be able to recover it if anything went wrong, Is a Operating system, XP home oem is what I'll get with a license key and that just as good as a recovery disc or would I have to ask the supplier to put in a recovery disc.

Cheers
Phil

jimv7 18:12 02 Aug 2006

i would not buy any computer that did not have the full os disc supplied, then make my own recovery disk.

If required you can then do a clean install from the full os disk or use the recovery disk.

Fingees 20:11 02 Aug 2006

Some OEM operating systems come with a license, and a copy of the operating system is on a partition on the disk instead of on a seperate cd.

I would only buy one with a seperate CD.

Even if it is only a Recovery disk, as a partition can be accidently erased, or formatted.

DieSse 23:23 02 Aug 2006

Getting the CDs for all the installed prgrams (not just the OS) is far better than a recovery CD - far more flexible.

sean-278262 00:14 03 Aug 2006

I find getting a Windows CD more useful. Then producting an upto date version with all the update patches on a later burned CD. I also have a DVD of software I like to install on my system plus other stuff I find useful that I then install. I dislike cluttering up with programs I rarely use so dont bother with recovery CDs. I just go for the windows cd and my recovery cd method every time.

ribo 09:25 03 Aug 2006

Can I butt in here and ask how I can make my own recovery disk.? I have a bought CD with XP. Thanks.

Batch 09:34 03 Aug 2006

The best way to make your own recovery disk is to use something like Acronis True Image to create a snapshot of your system partition (and other partitions / disks if you require).

This is better than a supplied recovery disk in that it puts you back to the point you were when YOU created teh image. A supplied recovery CD (or a reinstall from an XP CD) will basically put you back to where you were when you bought the machine.

But one thing to watch out for with images of the system partition is that they can be very large if you don't store your data on another partition. Best thing to do is to keep the system partition for OS and programs and that way the iamge will probably fit on one or two DVDs.

jimv7 09:51 03 Aug 2006

I use norton ghost for imaging my pc to dvd, others use acronis.

ribo 17:25 03 Aug 2006

Thanks. J

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?