Operating system corrupt, hard drive in tact!

9sublime 19:00 11 Dec 2006

My pc is a windows xp dell dimension 5500c.

I was using my pc before there was a power surge. Upon restarting my computer, it went to the safe mode/last know good config. screen.
None of these modes work, it just goes to a blue screen. After contacting dell it turns out that the operating system is missing files, but a diagnostic check shows that the hard drive is fine.
After trying to recover the missing OS files using a disk from dell, which failed, I still need to recover the data on the hard drive.
A friend has said to me he can take out my HD and back up the files by attaching it to his computer. I would then do a full system restore.
Is this safe and will it work?
Many thanks,
Jack.

P.S. I know how to work a computer well, but am not very familair with anything to do with F2, F12 screens etc. Dell have messed around with it, changing various options but to no effect.

Technotiger 19:08 11 Dec 2006

Hi, obviously you trust your friend, so Yes, it can work as he says.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:12 11 Dec 2006

operating system is missing files.

Repair XP by install over the top of existing systm

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

Legolas 19:20 11 Dec 2006

As said above a repair of WINXP is probably the quickest and easiest way to get your OS working properly, although I would still back up imortant files just incase.

9sublime 19:55 11 Dec 2006

im pretty sure the bloke at dell got me to do that when I rang them up. They sent me a couple of disks, and he got me to go into the recovery bit. He ended up making me change options in the setup menu to do with the drives and maintinence etc. but it didnt do anything.
i also dont think im capable of doing the steps youve advised. my mate is doing a college course in ict and makes his own computers so he knows about the physical side.
Many thanks anyway,
Jack.

Strawballs 22:17 11 Dec 2006

My son bought a machine home from work with exactly the same symptoms as described I tried doing a repair install as described in the simply guides and when it got to the point of pressing R for the repair install nothing happened so I went for the removal of hard drive put it in to my machine as a slave and transfered everything that he wanted to mine and did a clean install and burned his data to disc.

9sublime 11:21 12 Dec 2006

what do you reckon is the best way to connect it up. someone said something about ide adapters? i shouldnt have pressed resolve really. lol.

Technotiger 11:31 12 Dec 2006
  9sublime 16:26 12 Dec 2006

will this work even though i cant even get to the log on screen in safe mode?
boot menus etc. still work but have almost no knowledge of how to use them.
thanks for the link.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites.

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?