OpenOffice

griffo 11:31 30 Jul 2005

A colleague has OOo 1.1.4 installed and doesn't really like it. They have bought MS Office 2003 and installed that as well but find that all docs are being opened by OO not MS (even docs created in MS). I know it's possible to have both installed but can you advise how we make MS the 'default' please?

Have another question please - another collegue has OOo 1.1.4 and is happy(ish) with it but wants to know if it's worth upgrading to V1.9 that was on the PC Adviser cover DVD this month? If so will it simply overwrite the existing installation?

Belatucadrus 12:00 30 Jul 2005

One way would be to right click a file, then select 'Open With' 'Choose Program' select the relevant part of office. Tick the 'Always use the selected program' box and then OK it. Do this for Word, Excel & Powerpoint.

Is it worth upgrading from 1.1.4 to 1.9 ? Well 1.9 is much more Office like in appearance, so will appeal more to Microsoft fans, the database is much better and it is a more polished product. The layout is almost completely revamped, so even as an update, there is a learning curve involved in the transition. But it's a beta release and while perfectly usable isn't 100% bug free. In the end it depends what you want from an Office Suite, both are quite capable of doing the job as they stand.

SLAYER 12:00 30 Jul 2005

I using OO 1.1.3,no problems and of couse its free,not sure how to make MS default but if you right click a document,then open with,scroll down to MS office,then put a tick in the box at the bottem,that should help.

SLAYER 12:01 30 Jul 2005

0oops,beaten to it,slow typing my problem.

griffo 12:34 30 Jul 2005

Thanks for the replies so far. I appreciate that each time one opens a document you can select MS Word but it's a bit of a bore to do it each time. I'm sure it's possible to have MS Office as 'dominant' but don't know how to do it?

VoG II 12:35 30 Jul 2005

In the Open With dialog tick the box to always use this program to open this type of file.

mattyc_92 12:36 30 Jul 2005

Open up "My Computer" (or any other folder) and go to "Tools->Folder Options"

Now click onto the "File Types" tab. Select the file format, and click onto the "Change" button. Select the program you wish to use and click OK....

griffo 12:49 30 Jul 2005

Sorted, thanks chaps.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?