Opening Thunderbird attachments

guesswho2 21:11 04 Jul 2007

When TalkTalk email me with phone and BB bills, I used to be able to open them with a double-click and save them to My Docs. I think that maybe since installing V2 T'bird I've not been allowed to do this because of a warning about changing the type of file or some such.
I'm also having trouble now opening other attachments of the format .eml.
I can get round these problems eventually, but could someone perhaps explain the best way to proceed.
PS I'm using Mozilla FF and T'bird as the default applications.

Gongoozler 08:43 05 Jul 2007

What is the file extension (the bit after the dot) of the TalkTalk bills?

golfpro 09:20 05 Jul 2007

I am also having problems opening some files sent as an attachment with thunderbird, even when the file extension is the same. I still haven't found a way round this as yet.

guesswho2 15:25 05 Jul 2007

Hi Gongoozler - the bill attachment is .html

Gongoozler 16:52 05 Jul 2007

I just sent myself an html file that I had saved from a web page and Thunderbird 2.0.0.4 opened it ok. In Windows Explorer - Tools - Folder Options - File Types, what do you have as the entry for HTML?

guesswho2 12:16 06 Jul 2007

To Gongoozler - I've never been in there before! Associated with HTML in that list is Firefox Document.
In the hope that you'll get back to me again, I've not altered anything.
Cheers.

guesswho2 17:02 06 Jul 2007

Hello again Gongoozler. Thanks for your help. I've been mugging up on the Thunderbird HELP site and I think maybe I can see now the answer to the problem: I simply wasn't handling T'bird properly. It's the old story I'm afraid _"If in doubt, read the instructions"!
Many thanks again for your willingness to help and my apologies for wasting your time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?