Opening tabs?

micky d 09:18 13 Aug 2008

Hi all, i hope someone understands this & can help. It's not a problem as such,just a minor annoyance.

Right, after experiencing problems with Anitvirus 2008(as well as a sluggish computer along with not being able to perform a system restore) i decided to restore to factory settings. It's worked like a dream & as well as getting rid of Antivirus 2008 my system now runs quicker than an athelete on steroids.

My minor irritation is that now if i want to open another web page from my favourites list as well as this one,for example, then i have to open another IE page & then click on a page from favourites. Before i restored,my favourites list had arrows to the right hand side of each entry & i could open as many tabs as i wanted.

My question is, how do i get those tabs or arrows back? Is there something i have to download from Microsoft or something?

I hope this makes sense.

Cheers.

micky d 09:22 13 Aug 2008

Sorry, forgot to say................i'm on XP home.

micky d 09:35 15 Aug 2008

I take it no-one knows how to do it then..........?

Bah,humbug!

ire 09:49 15 Aug 2008

have you tried opening new tabs with the middle mouse button

micky d 10:07 15 Aug 2008

Thanks for the reply ire.

I haven't got a middle button on my mouse just a scroll wheel.

I could open tabs before i restored to factory settings so i presume i originally got the option through windows/microsoft updates or maybe it was a toolbar i had installed or maybe there's an option i haven't found in the file/edit/tools menu.

Any help greatly appreciated as it's getting very annoying.

rawprawn 10:30 15 Aug 2008

IE 7 Pro will do it for you.
click here

What version of ie?
Have you done security /software updates via windows update etc since factory restore.?
If Ie7,tools>internet options>general>tabs>settings>is enabled tabbed browsing ticked?

micky d 11:08 15 Aug 2008

I think that might be the problem rawprawn.

I vaguely remember updating to IE7 some while ago so my computer must of come with IE6 installed.

Will give your link a whirl.

Have done all updates,*Raven*, and i tried your suggestion of tools>internet options,etc. but had no "enabled tabbed browsing" option so it must be as rawprawn has said.

micky d 11:08 15 Aug 2008

I think that might be the problem rawprawn.

I vaguely remember updating to IE7 some while ago so my computer must of come with IE6 installed.

Will give your link a whirl.

Have done all updates,*Raven*, and i tried your suggestion of tools>internet options,etc. but had no "enabled tabbed browsing" option so it must be as rawprawn has said.

micky d 12:45 15 Aug 2008

Sorry for the double post.

Well, i downloaded IE7 pro but still no 'tabs' in my favourites list.

I hope i'm making myself clear.

I used to be able to click on a link in my favourites list and i would click on the arrow that appeared next to the link, i.e. Welcome - PC Advisor, then it would open a new tab but as it is now no arrow appears & if i click on a link then the page i'm on (my homepage for example) is replaced by the link i've just clicked instead of opening a new tab.

I think i'm confusing myself now.

It looks like your on ie6?Ie7 pro is a addon that though works on ie6 may need ie7 to have full functionality,not sure though.
from within internet explorer,check,help>about internet explorer for version and post back.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?