Opening a specific port for my LAN

Gaz W 21:04 01 Dec 2004

On my Windows 2000 server I need to open port 389 (here's why: click here). TCP/IP filtering was already disabled, so I downloaded a port scanner and saw that port 389 was closed on my server (192.168.0.1). How can I open it?

The server is running ZoneAlarm free edition (which isn't designed to run on servers anyway, and it states that every time I install the update). ZoneAlarm is OK, but it doesn't seem to allow me to open ports.

Would I be able to put 192.168.0.1:389 in the trusted zone or is it more complicated than that?

Thanks in advance,

Gaz

qidas 21:23 01 Dec 2004

You should not be running zone alarm on win2k server anyway. Uninstall zonealarm and then you will see that everything works fine.

Gaz W 21:57 01 Dec 2004

I know I shouldn't, but it's currently my only firewall. If I uninstall it I'm in trouble!

I would get the full ZoneAlarm if I thought it would allow me to do what I want, and it does seem to do, but I'm not going to pay for it if it keeps telling me it's not meant for servers.

What am I supposed to do for a firewall on W2K server? Everything seems expensive for what you get!

Gaz W 23:42 01 Dec 2004

Any ideas?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?