Opening Lotus files in XP Office

hgtyhf 16:18 09 Jan 2004

I have three floppies which contain info written in lotus wordpro(lwp)I have tried changing the extensions to doc and opening in word but all i get is scrambled symbols. Is there a way of opening these files without buying Lotus? Thanks

alcudia 16:34 09 Jan 2004

Strange, I thought Word would be sure to let you select WordPro files, but the option isn't there.

It may be an installable option, but I don't have any .lwp files to try it with.

I have WordPro and Word at home so I can have a go tonight if you don't solve it before then.

I suppose you could try Recover Text from any file, or Text with Layout and see what happens.

alcudia 16:44 09 Jan 2004

You could also try to install a converter, if there is one. Open Word help and type Converter and click Search. Instructions on how to do it will appear.

Taran 18:04 09 Jan 2004

Quick View Plus 7 from Avanstar click here allows you to open, view and even edit and resave more file formats than you could shake a stick at, including Lotus Word Pro files.

Saving as a Word document or importing a Word document is possible from within Lotus Word Pro, but from Microsoft Word it is a nightmare trying to get a .lwp file imported.

The easiest solution is probably to find someone who has Lotus SmartSuite installed who will open and resave your .lwp files as Microsoft Word documents for you. Not ideal if the documents contain any sensitive information, but the only other solution I know of is to use a good file viewer like Quick View Plus.

Regards

Taran

alcudia 21:16 10 Jan 2004

How right you are.

Probably deliberate on MS's part.

No problem opening a doc file in Lotus though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?