opening emails with Lycos

GG22 16:54 16 Feb 2006

I have recently opened a Lycos freebie email account, previously had Hotmail for a number of years.
My question is - does anyone else use Lycos, and if so do they find that the opening of a new or stored email takes nearly a whole lifetime?

I have no problems with anything else. My computer is certainly not overloaded and therefore getting slow. I've only been with Lycos a couple of weeks and I'm getting impatient with it.

Oh, one other thing - is Lycos and Yahoo compatable, a friend who is with Yahoo cannot seem to make contact with me.
Many Thanks.

rmcqua 16:59 16 Feb 2006

I don't know anyone who uses Lycos e-mail. Didn't even know they offered it.

chelseafan 17:08 16 Feb 2006

I have a lycos account and often find it very slow; sometimes it doesn't want to work at all. Is it something to do with a security package you have installed? I have McAffe (spelt?) Internet Security Suite installed and for some reason i can't read emails (they open as normal but without text) when the "privacy service" is enabled.

Jak_1 17:11 16 Feb 2006

Try this one:

click here

fast,free and secure.

rmcqua 21:51 16 Feb 2006

If GG22 and chelseafan's experiences are typical, maybe it's not surprising that there are not too many Lycos e-mail users around?

octal 22:12 16 Feb 2006

I've got three Lycos accounts, including a LycosMax account and they all work fine, apart from it being down a couple of times, I've had them for about seven years.

tye 22:15 16 Feb 2006

I've had a Lycos free email account for about 4 or 5 years now, & find it great. Only once in all this time could I not reach their website. I originally created the address with 'mailcity', which was bought by Lycos, but still let me use mailcity in my email address. I have 56k dialup & set cookies to prompt, so that takes time, but Lycos seems to be fine. -T

GG22 15:39 17 Feb 2006

Thank you for all your advice, it's been most helpful.
Perhaps I need to be a little more patient:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?