Opening downloaded zip file

Meshuga 19:29 30 Jul 2004

I have dowloaded an instruction sheet for my digital camera and it is in pdf form and i have saved it to my desktop. I have trid to open it using winzip9 but am unable to fathom it out. Can someone tell me how please. Meshuga.

TommyRed 19:41 30 Jul 2004

If you are using XP, right click the file and select 'extract all' this will open the compressed (zipped) folders extraction wizard, then just follow instructions. HTH TR

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:49 30 Jul 2004

you need acrobat reader installed on your machine to read a pdf file click here

Winzip9

Click on open icon - open archive box appears.

Click on down arrow of look in box use this to navigate to the folder where your downloaded file is stored.

click on file - click on open

file should appear in first screen

double clik on pdf file and it will automatically open in acrobat reader.

Meshuga 19:55 30 Jul 2004

Thanks TommyRed.I am using XP. I am still puzzled though because having saved the download to desktop all i have is an icon on the desktop which, when clicked on opens a compressed message.I dont know which file you are referring to and i cannot find anything which says extract all. Can you clarify further please bearing in mind that I have never used winzip before. Thanks for your patience. Meshuga.

Meshuga 20:02 30 Jul 2004

Thank you Fruit Bat. I already have acrobat reader installed. I will try your method tomorrow when I`m More awake and come back to you, either to report success or ask for further advice. Regards, Meshuga.

TommyRed 20:09 30 Jul 2004

Forget WinZip you probably won't need it, I haven't used mine for 6 months, so I uninstalled it, XP has its own Zip tool. I think this only works if Winzip is uninstalled, can you put it on a cd or something, if you haven't got BB. Then the file you downloaded should be a folder with a zip in the middle, right click on it and select 'extract all' follow instructions as above. As Fruit Bat said do you have Acrobat Reader installed to read PDF files, if not download from his link. HTH TR

Meshuga 20:15 30 Jul 2004

Thanks TommyRed. Will try your method tomorrow too but how do i locate XPs zip tool please. I have acrobat reader. Regards Meshuga.

TommyRed 20:24 30 Jul 2004

Not sure all I know is if you uninstall WinZip your XP tool should work as I said, mine did. If you don't have BB to replace WinZip later, if you wish, burn it to disk. It took me ages to get the hang of WinZip on 98SE, I'm much happier with XP's own. HTH TR

Salinger 21:18 30 Jul 2004

Don't quite follow this, If you download a PDF file and you have Acrobat Reader installed it will/should open automatically.

VoG II 21:40 30 Jul 2004

Ditto.

If it is a .pdf file it should open directly in Acrobat Reader.

If it is a zipped file then double clicking on the .zip file, then double clicking on the revealed .pdf file should open it.

Meshuga 08:23 31 Jul 2004

Thank you Salinger & VoG. Yes, it is a pdf file and I have now opened it in acrobat reader as you described. I thought originally that it was a zipped file (not knowing better)but as it wasn`t it is obvious why I could not open something I didn`t have. I`m going to have to study using winzip thoroughly via the tutorials. I can understand Why TommyRed said it took him ages to figure it out. When i`ve had some practise at it i`ll come back with any queries. Many thanks for all your help so far. Regards Meshuga.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?