Opening Audacity Files

sheila.weston 19:50 08 Feb 2011

Several years ago I transferred some tape recordings into my computer. The audacity folder has several folders, labelled *_data for the separate subjects each one containing lots of *.au files which are tiny parts of the total recordings. there are also *.wav files and a few *.aup files.

There are 26 GIGA of files and I want to burn these onto some Dual Layer DVDs.

Could SKP please explain the difference between the files and why not all of the recordings appear to have *.aup files.

I am wondering if I could transfer all of the relevant files into the folder of the same name containing the *.au files, so that I keep the files of each recording together? (or even create a different folder for them). OK I could try it, but don't want to waste discs and would be grateful for any suggestions.

sheila.weston 19:52 08 Feb 2011

I should have titled this 'Transferring Audacity Files'!

eedcam 22:37 08 Feb 2011

Au are files created om a sun or next computer AFAIK/ AUP are Audacity project and only of use with Audacity. Wav universally accepted by all players and files you chose to export them as and play on most players .Why do you want to store on dvd not exactly a reliable long term choice better off getting a portable hard drive then transferring would be easier and more reliable albeit albeit dearer

100andthirty 06:18 09 Feb 2011

Let's assume you recorded a track called "Music" in audacity and saved it as a project. you should have a file music.aup, and a folder marked music_data full of files with a single letter and number and "au" as a suffix - example b02345.au.
This is the way Audacity natually stores its data. However a wav file is a contiguous sound file that Audacity can read and can write as an export (rather than "save") option.

So if writing to DVD try and keep the .aup and data files of the same name together.

I wouldn't use DVDs for this but an external hard drive - quicker and in my experience more reliable!

hope this helps.

sheila.weston 17:43 09 Feb 2011

Many thanks, both. Looking at the files again, I notice that only some of the '*-data' folders have associated *.aup files, but not all. Does it matter? I seem to be able to open the file by salecting the first au file and putting on loop.

Some have wav files with the same name and I *think* that this is because I saved them in two different ways??

Yes, eedcam, I bought a 1TB external drive the other day, but want a backup of DVDs to keep in a safe in the garage and update once or twice a year.

eedcam 18:57 09 Feb 2011

Sheila DVD's are really not that reliable but at least make sure you use a good brand like Verbatim or similar

100andthirty 21:51 09 Feb 2011

I second eedcam's view - better to buy a second external HDD - more expense, but dual layer DVD's aren't cheap!

If you have a wav file with the same name as a data file you're probably OK with the wav file. I don't claim to be an expert in audacity, but I suspect that the .aup file explains to the programm how to string the .au files together.

DippyGirl 00:56 10 Feb 2011

From memory - not on my PC with audacity.
Audacity has a concept of projects (a recording) anything it needs for the project will be stored in .au* files and/or a project folder.

After you have recorded/edited your recording the usual approach is to export to .wav ( or with the appropriate plugin mp3 )

So if you wish to "adjust" the original recording you need to retain the project.
If you just want the finished recoding just save the wav/mp3 file
If you have the original source you could always re-record to a new project
If you have the built wav/mp3 you could always re-record to a new project

Totally agree with long term storage DVD/CD may not last for ever

sheila.weston 15:13 15 Feb 2011

Many thanks, all. With your help I have got it sorted now. Quite right, DippyGirl, I have saved some of the recordings as aup and then gone on to save them as wav also.

Actually, I have copies on an external disk also, so think I won't bother with the DVDs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?