Opening Attachment

Yeldarb 13:40 16 Feb 2006

Error message : "This file does not have a program associated with it. Create association ....etc "

I can find no means of "creating" an association in the control panel >> files option menu

What am I doing wrong ?

stalion 13:46 16 Feb 2006

What is the file called and is it a legitimate file that you know the contents of.?

VoG II 13:50 16 Feb 2006
  Yeldarb 14:00 16 Feb 2006

Thank you VoGtm
My cousin attached a script of a family eulogy. The attachment calls it " Winnie's eulogy" Source undisputable ...... but I don't know how to open it Oh dear !!

Belatucadrus 14:01 16 Feb 2006

What type of file is it .txt, .pdf, .zip etc ? That will enable us to point you to some appropriate software.

Yeldarb 18:26 16 Feb 2006

I overlooked thanking Stalion above and now Belatucadrus - very grateful. And sorry for delay - my public are very demanding !!

How do I find out the type of file ? It is totally legit. (from my cousin ) - but I doubt if she would know the type either. there is nothing to indicate this. It shows my inexoerience doesn't it ? Yeldarb

stalion 18:53 16 Feb 2006

have you tried VoG™ link yet?

Belatucadrus 19:10 16 Feb 2006

I'm somewhat surprised at the lack of ID as when you open an e mail with attachment in Outlook Express, the Attachment window should contain the file name, type and size i.e.:- "message.txt (600 bytes)".
If not why not ask your cousin what program she used to make the eulogy with.

Yeldarb 11:00 17 Feb 2006

Stalion - I don't know what VoGtm is ..... I thought it was a person replying to mine !!
Belatucardrus : No. All that the top of the email gives is From my cousin to me, date and time and subject (winnie (31.8KB)
............but ... by sheer accident I managed to open it. I found a command "save attachment. I did so to "my Ebooks" . and lo and behold when I opened My Ebooks, there it was in full glory and ready for printing. More by good luck than good science !!
But I do thank you all for your interest

Belatucadrus 13:10 17 Feb 2006

From the sound of things it was a PDF file where the extension had been accidentally removed from the file name at some point.
I suspect if you right click the file and change the name from winnie to winnie.pdf it'll behave itself properly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?