Open Office... Your views please

DJ-Garry 11:27 20 Mar 2008

Hi Guys.

Could anyone let me know if Open Office click here is a good substutute for MS Office and is it really free to keep using plus fairly bug and advert/popup free?

Cheers, Garry

johndrew 11:36 20 Mar 2008

Yes it is a good substitute for MS Office and compatible with it. You can use the Open Office format to save documents or convert them to the MS format. It doesn`t work in exactly the same way as MS Office but you will be hard pushed to criticise it.

Yes it is free and there are no popups/ads. You can update as and when you wish and post to the Open Office site with any suggestions for improvements you may have.

Belatucadrus 11:55 20 Mar 2008

The only gripe I have with it is the lack of a grammar check and lord knows I need one. Other than that it's simply superb.

Taff™ 12:33 20 Mar 2008

I have several clients that use it for business and they wonder why they ever bought MS Office previously.

Tinker Bell 12:56 20 Mar 2008

I use it all the time, and have never experienced a problem with it.

Ive used it for last 12 months with no issues.
It can be slow to launch but there are a couple of tweaks to speed it up.
click here

For the vast majority of people, Open Office is a perfectly adequate substitute for Microsoft Office.

I used it for several years until recently when I realised I could by a copy of Microsoft Office 2007 Ultimate Edition for £39 as I am a university student.

Open Office is open source therefore there is absolutely no advertising and nothing urging you to shell out money.

Of course in the middle paragraph that should read "...I could BUY a copy of...."

DippyGirl 13:48 20 Mar 2008

I use it with no problems.
I had heard that there are some incompatibilities between excel and calc if it was a "complex" s/sheet , or might have been an issue with macros - sorry cant remember the detail.
But the day to day stuff I use it for it's great

never had a problem with it, only used office for a couple of months, but havnt found anything open office cant do yet.

2bathred 14:08 20 Mar 2008

couldn't agree more. I've been using it for more than 5 years now and every update sees it getting better. Free to all. If you really think it is that good then you can make a donation if you wish. If you do you get access to loads more freebees.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Ryzen news - release date, UK price, features and specifications

The 12 best apps for drawing and painting on your iPad

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment faire des captures d’écran sous Windows 10 ?